Chapter 9 Slightly Illegal

When Sophia had seen the news reports last night and realized what had happened to all those people Cecelia had been keeping in the mine she had thrown up. Then had spent an uneasy rest of the night trying to sleep with four snoring wolves sleeping in various places around the room. They had let her have the bed but she hadn't felt comfortable enough to sleep. After check out time at the motel they had piled into Thomas' Jeep and drove back up the mountain parking a little below the mine in a cluster of trees that hid them from the patrolling authorities. As Cody said, 'We can always just say we're camping.'

Now, Sophia sat in the open door of the Jeep with her chin braced on her hands. The fading light of the sunset gilded everything with golden light. She stared at the crazy group of men standing in front of her. They were all grinning like idiots at their brilliant plan.

"Aw, come on, Sophia! It'll be fun." Thomas begged her again.

"I don't see this as fun," she shook her head. "I see this as illegal."

"Desperate times, Sweet Cheeks!" Philtzer grinned at her.

"I'm not that desperate."

"Oh come on. You wanted to help." Thomas reminded her.

"And you're the only one of us that has been in the mine." Hamilton offered.

"You don't even know if your friends are still in there." She shook her head.

"If Madraeus hasn't made contact with us then he is still in the mine." Thomas crossed his arms.

"Come on, please...pretty please...with ice cream? Pretty please with ice cream and cherries," Philtzer pleaded grinning, "and me on top?"

"Eww!" Hamilton groaned.

"Dude!" Thomas shook his head.

"Seriously!" Cody shoved Philtzer.

"I don't care what you put on top!" Sophia laughed, "I'm not going in there!"

"But, Soph, if you come with us then there's a chance we Won't get caught." Hamilton tried again for logic. "If you don't then we'll be blundering around forever."

"That may be, but I don't think I can lie to the cops down there to you get you in."

"You won't have to," Philtzer knew he was gaining ground. "We'll do all the talking."

"That won't help!" Sophia cried, "Just looking at my face they'll know! I'm a terrible liar."

"What if you went as the police dog instead of Cody?" Hamilton shrugged.

"Then if I have to shift, I'll be naked!" She shook her head.

"Don't worry," Philtzer grinned, "we won't mind."

"I will!"

"We promise not to look," Hamilton said while punching Philtzer.

Sophia sighed. She was running out of arguments, but then she had a sudden thought. "You don't have a police uniform!"

"Ah ha!" Thomas grinned and bounded to the back of the Jeep. He dug around for a moment and then produced a police uniform.

"Where did you get that?"

Thomas grinned stupidly, "Don't ask."

"Come on," Philtzer prodded one more time, "It'll save a life."

"A couple of lives," Hamilton added.

Sophia looked from face to face. Then rubbed her forehead. "Alright."