Chapter 11 Run for your life

Slowly they worked their way back through the tunnels. Stopping periodically to wait for patrolling search parties pass by then they moved on. Finally the huddled at the corner of the tunnel across from the arch way that led to the outside. Fresher air wafted in from the shaft teasing them with freedom just out of reach. Hamilton stuck his nose around the corner and sniffed then poked his head out a little farther and surveyed the area.

Sophia stood over him peeking around the corner. The tunnel was full of police and forensic investigators moving in and out of Cecelia's homemade prison cells. They were making enough noise that they wouldn't be heard but there was no way that they three men behind her could cross the tunnel without being seen.

Hamilton pulled back and shifted into a man.

"What if you and I were the distraction?" He and looked at Sophia.

She looked back at him at him doubtfully.

"What if we do the unruly dog thing like earlier and I pretend to get away from you? You can make a lot of noise chasing me and they'll all watch us while these guys sneak out."

Suddenly Sophia heard a familiar voice. She poked her head around the corner again.

"Shit!" She pulled back from the corner nearly falling over Malcolm in her rush.

"What's wrong?" Malcolm hissed as he reached out to steady her.

"I know that cop!" Sophia began to tremble and blur.

"Hey," Hamilton grabbed her arms. "Calm down. Remember what Philtzer said. Breathe."

Sophia concentrated on breathing and slowly stopped shaking. Hamilton glanced around the corner to see if they'd been heard then looked back at her.

"Which cop?" Rami moved over switching places with Hamilton and carefully peeked around the corner.

"The one in the old man jacket." Sophia whispered as she pressed herself back against the wall. "Detective Sanders."

"Sanders?" Madraeus hissed.

"You know him?" Hamilton looked over his shoulder at his boss.

"He's the one that was pestering Whitney." Madraeus nodded.

"Great." Hamilton sighed.

"I can't go out there. He'll recognize me." Sophia shook her head.

Hamilton watched her a moment then shrugged, "Alright, switch with me again." He started to unbuckle his collar again. "Same plan, but you take off and I'll chase you."

Discretely the men turned away as Sophia started to undress.

"I swear," she grumbled, "I've never been naked this often my whole life."

"You'll get used to it." Hamilton chuckled as he put on what she took off.

After they had change places again Hamilton turned back to Madraeus, Rami, and Malcolm.

"Get ready to run for you lives. Philtzer is in the woods somewhere waiting, just keep running and he'll find you. Thomas' Jeep is up the mountain." He turned to Sophia. "You ready?"

She shook her head and whined.

"Let's do it." He gestured for her to run. "Go!" he had to shove her again to get her to move.

"Hey! Come back here!" Hamilton shouted after Sophia dashed around the corner. He turned once more back to his friends. "Good luck." Then he ran around the corner yelling to everyone to catch his dog.