Chapter 8: All That For A Hug?

Start from the beginning

"Well wasn't that cute, I didn't know you and Stefan were so close" Damon spoke up from behind me. "I felt left out, dare I say jealous."

"What for, you want a hug to?" I raised a brow at him.

"If you're offering" he held his arms open.

"Tough, you have to earn my hug. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a float to get ready for" I turned to leave him but he followed me.

"Why are you dressed for the era, you look very..." he tried to find the word.

"Katherine-y?" I offered.

"Yeah, I guess you do" he agreed.

"I'm dressed up because Carol wants me to be like a Wife/Sister/Daughter/Mother looking after her wounded soldier of a Husband/Brother/Father/Son--whatever she wants to think of it as. It's to make everything look more authentic and as though we're honoring the historical event with all the sympathy we can muster" I shrugged and got on the float.

And when the parade started, I drowned out all the noise. Held bandages while sitting next to soldiers that looked shot, and I pretended to care for them while also smiling and waving at the crowd. Damon disturbing my smile off with Bonnie by standing in front of her and waving at me, I rolled my eyes but waved back.

-TIME SKIP-

The parade was over and I feel normal again. Well, as normal as I can in Elena's clothes. Still waiting for mine to show up, which is taking forever. I need to find Jeremy, according to Elena he's p!$$ed at her, let's see if he's angry at me too. "I like you better like this" Damon stopped me from my search. "The period look, it...didn't suit you."

"Thank god too, that corset killed. But like I always say, I haven't a clue whether you're complimenting me or not" I admitted.

"Actually, Kat, it is a compliment of the highest order" I laughed slightly at his words.

"Am I about to die(?)" I joked.

"No, why?" he frowned.

"You said I'd be the only one you'd compliment just before you killed me" I reminded him and he smiled, remembering. "Look, I don't know why, but Elena seems to be worried about our friendship."

"Did she mention something to you, too?" he frowned.

"After we got back from all that Isobel hoopla last night, she gave me a firm talking to about how I should be careful around you--not to let you influence me. When did she say something to you?" I frowned.

"While you were getting changed, just now after the parade. She doesn't want me corrupting you, I think Stefan's gonna play her watchdog and keep me in check" he smirked.

"So, if I were to listen to her, I would say stop with the flirty comments and no more doing that weird eye thing that you do" I informed him.

"What eye thing?" he did the eye thing once he'd finished speaking.

"But if I were to ignore her, then we'd probably be sleeping together pretty soon" I smirked.

"So what are you planning on doing?" he leaned closer.

"I'm gonna go with what she says for a little while, then we'll see if I get bored. Until then, don't make me regret being your friend. Ok?" I asked, he nodded and then I spotted Jeremy. I smiled at Damon then walked towards my brother. "Hey, Jer."