Intertwine [3]

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Seán O'Casey
<><><><><><><><>

After being thrown out of his company's building, Jayden calls a taxi to head home. He knows those stubborn old board members won't go against their word. That means his poor sports car will be stuck in the parking lot for God knows how long.

The yellow taxi pulls up to the curb of a modern building, where his condo is. He wants to make sure they weren't pulling his leg with being kicked out of his own home. The idea is just absurd.

Jayden enters the building with hopes he can grab some cash he stashed for emergencies. He'll get, if he remembers correctly, ten thousand dollars and a suitcase with some clothes in it. He can then stay at a hotel until the situation blows over and later get a hold of his friend, Mr. Barrick.

Jayden hopes the old timer has mercy on him. Barrick couldn't have agreed on this ridiculous decision. Jayden will have to call him later for help.

Right when he enters the building, the security guard sitting at the front desk already has his eyes on Jayden. The former CEO pretends he doesn't notice the intense gaze as he continues to the elevator.

"Hey! You can't go in there!" the guard yells.

Jayden growls, "But I live here!"

"You are on the blacklist, man. Your picture is taped with the other blacklisters on the desk. They're just orders I receive. Now, get out of this building or I will have to use force."

It's understandable why the guard doesn't recognize him. Jayden doesn't return home or leave home during this man's shift. He can tell he won't be able to reason with the guard.

With no fuss, Jayden exits with his hands shoved in his pockets. Inside him feels empty, a sense of lost that he's not used to. What now? He pulls out his phone only to have it read, "no carrier" from dialing a few numbers.

The former CEO lets out a loud curse, kicking the bricked wall. Passerby eye him cautiously, wondering if he snapped. Jayden walks down the sidewalk, trying to remember where the city hasn't removed their payphones. Jayden has a couple of coins on him so it shouldn't be a problem getting a hold of Barrick.

He accidentally bumps into people while he's lost in thought.

Fortunately, the sun is still up and he has time to do something before the more shady-looking people roam the streets.

After minutes of walking in the heat, Jayden takes off the blazer and loosens his tie. Sweat is around his collar and pits, an appearance the business man is uncomfortable in.

Jayden wanders off into a back alley to escape the sun. The thick suit doesn't mix well with the eighty-degree heat. He's usually in air conditioned environments that he doesn't notice the weather.

"Hey you! Nice suit! You a model?" someone yells.

The former CEO turns his attention to a man wearing baggy pants that's sagging and a white tank top that loosely hang of his shoulders. The thug approaches from the open street in an odd strut. This couldn't be good...

Jayden retreats further into the alley. He can't take his chances to fight the man who could possibly be carrying a weapon.