Chapter 4

Amethyst's P.O.V.

I pushed open the double doors that lead to the royal library. Something engraved on the royal crest caught my eye. The official royal crest don't have this engraving on it at all. Strange. Was my eyes playing tricks on me?

I walked closer and examined the engravings closely. It was real. And fresh. I knew it from the way the engraving is different in comparison with the others.

It is in some ancient language. I don't know but I just know it. My blood boiled in my veins in reply. Is it connected to me somehow? Hmm... A light bulb snapped on in my mind. I suddenly understood the engraving and I froze. The engraving  read Blood of Fae. The very words itself make my skin crawl.

I hurried into the library, creeped out by the engraving. I have never been into the library before. It was forbidden for me. But Mother's unfinished sentence sparked my curiosity. I just have to find out about my lineage of blood. If she finds out that I have been into the royal library she might as well as blame herself.

The library itself stretched out into the gloom as only the nearest torches were lighted by the scholars who were here and had left. It would take more than a night's searching to find a history record or something of that kind if there was. That is if one still exists.

Mother had all the history books in the kingdom burned by her order. I think the few that survived is in her keep at least that was what I think. If even a few survived maybe one of them ended up here. It is a long shot but worth the try. And effort.

I stopped by the first shelf and started searching. I run my hands over the covers of books written by scholars a long time ago.

One with a silver cover caught my interest and I pulled it out. It feels untouched for a long time since it's author. The cover held no words or writing so I flipped open the book. Only to meet the words in that strange language that had made my skin crawl and my blood boil. Again. Blood of Fae.

And below the words written neatly in English was Mother's handwriting. It read: Irish.

This is seriously beginning to creep me out. Impossible. It was the language that was forbidden. Forbidden to be written all right but speaking in it is allowed. It was forbidden since the start of the kingdom.

No one knows how to read the written language nowadays much less write it. But by chance I knew how to read it. Is it possible it is in my blood? Hmm... Maybe. Only Fae have it in their blood. Unless I am one myself?!?

A possibility. But a vague one. Suddenly, the flames that was dancing in the hearth died down abruptly. And I had a feeling like someone is walking on my grave. I shivered and turned aroundly dreading what would happen next.