Chapter 33 - Part of the Family

Start from the beginning

“We’ll take my bike.” Jake says, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him.

Before I can object a helmet’s shoved over my head and I’m pushed towards ‘death on wheels’.

“Do you think you can manage that, Hailey?” Claire asks, eyeing my dress worriedly, “One of the boys can give you their seat in the car and they can ride with Jake.”

I can feel Jake’s stare burning into my back, and I bite my lip, “Um, I think I should be ok. We’ll follow from behind, so you guys get going.”

Claire nods as soon as I finish talking and jumps into the passenger seat of the car, “Well we’ll see you there then. Be careful.”

Jake waves at his family as they drive off, in their cars and I turn to him, “Maybe ask me before you shove a helmet over my head and tell me we’re going to ride a bike. I wouldn’t have worn this stupid thing.” I grumble, hiking my dress up around my thighs as I awkwardly try to get onto the bike.

“Well you look beautiful.” He kisses me quickly before grabbing the back of my dress and helping me get on. “You know you wanted to anyway.” He adds with a grin.

I adjust my dress around me and put on the leather jacket Jake hands me, unconsciously breathing in his faint scent. He gets on in front of me and I wrap my arms around his waist and lean into his back, leaving him to presume whatever he wants about my silence.

We scurry into the building; a little bit late due to the whole debacle we had to go through again trying to get me off his stupid bike. I run my fingers through my hair one last time, praying that I don’t have helmet hair and quickly reach up to tousle Jake’s since half of it is standing up on only one side.

He ducks out from under my hands with an annoyed expression, “Leave the hair alone.”

I mirror his face as we stand in the lobby to the hall the presentation is taking place in, “It looks weird.” I reach up again just to spite him and maybe to feel his soft locks against my fingers just one more time. “Lemme just fix it up a little…”

He ducks his head and grabs my wrists in an attempt to stop me pulling me up against him at the same time. “My hair looks awesome all the time.” He says arrogantly, his smile dancing in his eyes.

Sadly, that is very true…

“Young love. How cute.” An old lady murmurs to her husband as they walk past us.

Jake immediately lets go and we each take a synchronised step away from each other, blushing in embarrassment.

Jake sighs as he rubs the back of his neck, “I guess we better go in.”

I nod awkwardly. We can’t really afford to have too much PDA if we want to keep our relationship a secret.

We slip inside the theatre after showing the usher our tickets and stand at the back of the crowded lecture theatre, scanning the chattering crowd for the McLane’s. The low babble of conversation fills our ears, telling us that we’re just on time.

I feel people looking at us curiously, probably wondering what we must have done to give ourselves such a dishevelled appearance. Jake grabs my hand and pulls me down to a row near the front of the stage where a large projector screen has been pulled down.  

“We’re here!” Jake tries to placate Claire as she glowers at him from the middle of the row. He takes a seat next to Dylan and I sit down next to him at the end, getting comfortable.

As if a cue has been given, the lights in the building dim and everyone immediately quietens down.

“Ladies and gentleman, thank you for attending Jay Corp’s 50th annual film awards for young artists.” An elderly man says at the podium on stage. He smiles as his gaze sweeps over us as we watch him intently. “My name is Greg Taylor and I am the founder of Jay Corp productions and the creator of this competition which allows youths in our state to display their talent for filmmaking. Thank you all for making it on time tonight as we have a busy schedule to display the talent and creativity of this year’s participants. Before this though, I’d like to say a special thank you to all the people who have made their way from all over the state to attend this awards night and I hope you will all enjoy tonight’s festivities.”