Chapter One-October

Start from the beginning

This sucked.

"What's that you have there?" He asked, motioning to my green notebook. Blushing, I snapped it closed, and then tried to appear nonchalant. I've never been much of a journal-keeper but...

"It's for my therapist." I blurted, and both he and Angela raised their brows. Flushing, I tried to come up with formidable sentences.

"Y-eah, she's making me do journal writing-oh, I didn't tell you guys? Ayora's making me see a therapist. Well, grief counselor." I stuttered, with an awkward laugh. Matt and Angela shared a glance.

"Oh. My mom did too...but they stopped when summer ended." He replied heavily, and with eyes that rove over mine, as though searching for a hidden meaning. I felt a sudden shudder pass over my body and tried to quell it away. Staring with shiny eyes, I answered shakily.

"I-I know. I guess I'm just...not ready yet."

Embarrassed over the strain in my voice, I turned away and lay my head on the desk. It was cold under my cheeks, and I tried not to think about all the germs that covered the white surface. My body was trembling. Raking in deep breaths, I tried to be still. I even closed my eyes but it wasn't working.

"Hey Pey...you okay?" he asked with concern, but I couldn't respond. I was finding it hard to breathe as the lump grew in my throat. The only thing that stopped me from crying was by staring straight ahead. Matt touched my shoulder softly.

"Listen...Pey...it's okay if you're not ready yet. What happened to you...was horrible. It's going to take a lot of time to recover from that, you don't have to be here." He told me assuredly.

"Yeah, what jock-boy said? You want me drive you home girl?" Angela chimed in, still smacking her gum. I smiled at her nonchalant tone, and pulled my head up from my desk.

"No thanks, guys." I breathed out.

"Are you sure? We can take you back home, if you want."

"No, no. I'm...I'm okay." I said with a smile, and Angela seemed to exhale in relief. Matt leaned back in his chair...but he didn't seem convinced. I was lucky I guess. I still had a really good friend...and Angela? Well let's just say Angela was getting there. She was over at my house for most of this summer, staying with me locked up in Ayora's spare bedroom. She was a shoulder to lean on, while Ayora fought for guardianship over me. The past few months would have been way worse if not for her.

"Can I ask you guys a question?" she piped up suddenly. We both turned to her, prepared to hear something totally irrelevant. What can I say? Once an airhead blonde...

"Don't you guys think it's strange...that while the entire summer had flown by, we haven't seen Claire or Justin? Or even Brustarios?" She whispered, shocking us. Her words sent shivers down my spine. To be honest, I was grateful. I already had so much to deal with, without them too. As for Claire...I had no idea where she was. She was probably with him. I was glad.

"What are you talking about? That's a good thing." Matt pointed out, and she knitted her brows together, as though she knew something we didn't.

"Of course. I was just thinking that it was strange. It's like they almost...gave up on you."

"You mean burning my house down with three of my parents inside was the last straw?" I remarked bitterly, and of course, nobody laughed. Matt placed a hand on my shoulder.

"We can only hope." He replied, and Angela nodded.

"Yeah," She agreed.

"Hope they don't have something worse planned."