Chapter 10 - The Trap

Start from the beginning

"Once you have returned possessing a kill worthy of adulthood, you have my blessing to marry," his father said. "If you come back empty handed, best you not return at all."

Perhaps those brought up in easier circumstances would have considered his father's words harsh. Harsh words were sometimes necessary in life. Harsh words—an even harsher reality. It was what he needed at the time. He knew the tricks of hunting in the forest. His father taught him young, explaining the types of game often found in various regions, and how to kill it. He knew the right berries to eat, and even the right greens, should it be necessary.

Providing was a man's responsibility. Mikkin never saw it any other way because his father raised him that way. "Food for the table will always be our duty," his father often said. "A woman's lot in life is hard enough. You remember that when you take a wife, boy." Many of his father's wise words stuck with him throughout life.

As he sat with his father that day receiving his name day instructions, he understood that this was his one chance to prove himself. Besides, he had no other choice. Mardra, the beautiful red-headed girl he had been seeing, would not want him if he failed.

It was a rough three days in the mountain forests. All he was given was a bow and three arrows. There wasn't room for mistakes. He was determined to pass this daunting test. On the first night he went hungry; he failed to kill the cottontail he had spotted. The second day he succeeded with a small one. Famished, he roasted it and ate it immediately. The animal was hardly a worthy token of manhood; no, he wanted something greater. Before nightfall that day, with a full belly, he spotted a large buck feeding in a clearing. It was as though the gods themselves placed the deer there for his taking. The buck's side was exposed, lining him up for a perfect shot. Fate was in his favor.

With shaking fingers, he nocked an arrow and aimed for the heart, just behind the buck's shoulder. He hoped to send the arrow straight through. When he pulled the string tight and released, the arrow struck true. The buck took off into the forest. He tracked it to its dying place and was with it when it breathed its last.

The following day, he had returned with a mighty trophy that would feed his family for a month. His father and mother had been proud. Mardra had been even prouder.

One year later, after he had built a home worthy of a wife, he married Mardra. He still recalled her gold gown and the way she kissed his lips during their ceremony...

He pushed those memories from his mind. Mardra was so much a part of him that it was nearly impossible to ignore the continuous thoughts of her. He saw her face and the faces of his two sons, Devden and Thomas. Images of them writhing in flames plagued his dreams. Dragon fire was horrific. No one deserved to die in such a way. He shuddered and forced his mind back to the present.

Somewhere out there, a Gobelin lurked. He wished it would come out. He knew it was watching him from the dark depths of the forest, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. In truth, part of the reason he wanted to speak with it was because he thought the little wretch would have useful information.

When a number of hours had passed, his watchful eyes grew heavy. He woke Jamie and instructed him to take the second watch. The lad rubbed his tired eyes and positioned himself next to the fire.

"Keep this sword with you and watch the shadows," Mikkin advised. "Do not hesitate to wake me, even if you have the slightest gut feeling that danger lurks. Otherwise, rouse me at dawn."

The lad nodded.

Mikkin hardly trusted him, but he badly needed a few hours of rest. He positioned himself comfortably next to the fire then looked at Jamie one last time. "If I catch you sleeping, lad, I will skin you alive," he added. Then he drifted off to sleep.