Chapter 21: Never Break My Heart

Start from the beginning

The truth is, I'm tougher now than I was eighteen months ago. No gossip rag will scare me into hiding again. If people want to believe the rumours, it's their problem, not mine.

Unfortunately, my day doesn't get any better from there.

When the scripts for next week's episode are handed out, I quickly discover that Lyndel and Ryan will be sharing more than a kiss. They have a sex scene written for them. Suddenly, I feel like my world has been turned upside down once again.

The timing couldn't be worse. Between the morning's headline and the news of Ryan's upcoming intimate scene with Lyndel, I know people will start tip-toeing around me, giving me sympathetic looks, as if expecting me to crack at any moment.

Jazz and Vanessa show up in the dressing room with Chinese takeaway, and I know they're here to check up on me. At least they don't bother hiding their concern, and Vanessa gets straight to the point.

"I just can't believe it's a sex scene," she says. "Stone and Brianna haven't even gone to bed together yet."

"I can't see them having Stone and Brianna sleep together any time soon," Jazz says thoughtfully. "Their romance is a major audience draw. The writers are going to take their time with the build-up, and that includes introducing Kayla Vermont as a potential complication for Stone."

Vanessa scoffs loudly. "So, they're saving Stone and Brianna's first time as a ratings boost for later?"

Jazz takes out her phone and shows us a Google search entry. "Brione?" Vanessa questions.

"Ship name for Brianna and Stone," Jazz explains.

I can hardly believe my eyes. "There are over a million results."

"That's quite impressive," Vanessa admits.

"They're all over Tumblr and Twitter. And this site," Jazz clicks on the fifth result, "even has a petition against Stone and Kayla hooking up."

I scan the list of names, amazed at the number of people pledging their support for Stone and Brianna.

"No one cares about Kayla and Stone," Jazz remarks. "But the more they hold out on giving people Stone and Brianna, the more the fans want it. Kayla is just there to delay Stone and Brianna getting together too quickly, because Brione is endgame."

Vanessa laughs. "Okay then, Brione is endgame. But can I ask why you've been googling Stone and Brianna?"

Jazz shrugs. "Brad and I were playing around with something on my computer the other night, and we stumbled across this."

Vanessa looks sly. "I've noticed you and Brad spending a lot of time together lately."

Jazz immediately throws Vanessa a look. "Don't go there. We're just friends."

I can't help but grin. "Are you sure I haven't set a precedent for dating a co-star on Hart's Valley?"

"Hardly."

Vanessa turns to me, changing the subject. "Speaking of dating co-stars, how are you feeling about Ryan and Lyndel acting out this sex scene next week?"

"Wow, you dove right in there, didn't you?" I respond.

"We just want to know how you're handling it," Jazz says gently.

"I'm fine, thank you. I mean, I knew this was coming. Situations like this come with the territory. I might not like the idea of Ryan pretending he's having sex with Lyndel, but it's really not a big deal."

"Okay, now that you've told us what you think you should say, why don't you tell us how you really feel?" Vanessa says bluntly.

"I'm not happy about it, but I'm certainly not going to lose it," I reply tersely.