| Chapter 2 || Hidden Identity |

Chapter Two

Hidden Identity

*First Person Point of View ~ Artemis's Guardian*

As I watched over Lady Artemis' camp, I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to my training in the Guardians Guild.

As my thoughts clouded my vision, I allowed my senses to stretch, which was a skill that I had learned when I first entered the Guild. It allowed me to survey my surroundings to the very best of my abilities, as well as sense all other life forms, no matter how shielded or how insignificant.

I remembered the training very clearly. It was painfully difficult, but I'd dedicated my life to the cause. The Great One had warned me of the difficulties before I'd accepted, but I knew that I would never be able to clear my past name otherwise. He kept his word of course, and put me through countless exercises to test my strength, loyalty, and bravery.

Some of his training sessions even tested my trust and faith in my superiors. Many times, he had asked me to do things that I'd never consciously do otherwise.

Every time, though, I followed orders, no matter how much danger said orders put me in. For I was merely a pawn, I knew that. I had been a pawn all my life. Knowing that I was a pawn for good, and not evilthat was what kept me going. And knowing that even as a pawn, I was respected, and not merely cast aside-it allowed me to feel pride.

I was broken out of my musings as I felt a presence approach me. Looking down, I saw Lady Artemis, standing all alone, staring up at me.

"Guardian, come down here. I wish to speak to you," she said.

I nodded, realising that I was still sitting in a tree. I jumped down, landing squarely on my feet, bending my knees slightly to allow the jolt travel through my body, releasing the tension into the air around me.

Lady Artemis was watching me closely, assessing my skills.

"Very impressive. I still cannot find any flaws in you," she told me.

"I was trained to be a perfect match for you Milady. I must match your skills, as well as made up for your minimal weaknesses. It is my only purpose. I am meant to keep you in perfect condition, which means your physical health, but your mental and emotional health as well," I replied.

Artemis frowned, as if she still wasn't used to the idea of having a Guardian. Of course, I didn't expect her to.

"Anyways, I wanted to talk to you about something," she said.

"Of course. What is it that you need?" I asked.

"I wish to know your identity."

I paused. I was not expecting that. I began to contemplate whether or not to tell her. Telling wouldn't break any rules, but I didn't know what would happen if I did tell her. Would she shun me? Did the gods still believe that I was a traitor? Artemis may have been one of the gods who pleaded my case, but who's to say that she hasn't changed her mind about me. She was, of course, a man-hating goddess, and I was, after all, a man.

"I apologise Milady. I do not believe that it is the right time to reveal myself to you."

Artemis frowned once more, causing me to flinch. I did not like it when she frowned. It meant that I was not doing my job as her guardian correctly.

"Very well," she decided after a few moments. She was about to walk away when I called out to her. She turned, curious. I chose my next words carefully before elaborating as she turned.