Chapter 13 - That Awkward Moment When You See the One Person You're Avoiding

Start from the beginning

Nazia bits her lip. “Should I go say that Rubina has passed out or something? That will stop them…I hope.”

“Wait, why do I have to be the one that faints?” Rubina protests loudly.

“Because if I’m the one who allegedly faints, how would I be able to go and tell them?”

Maysa and I look at each other. “I just got injured, I’ll go and try to get Dawud to stop.” I throw down the semi-bloody paper towel away and race out of the room.

My stomach drops when I see that Zakariya and Adam are standing there awkwardly looking directly at everything but each other. Zakariya clears his throat. Dawud jumps up and down and starts chattering. Zak is smiling slightly, looking overwhelmed. “Hey, Dawud, can I talk to Adam for a minute? Why don’t you go get that painting that you said you did in school? I would love to see it.” Adam looks taken aback and surprised but hesitantly encourages Dawud to go bring the painting.

Dawud nods and skips away happily, oblivious to the rage of emotions, confusion, and turmoil the rest of us are feeling. Zakariya rubs his neck and shifts from foot to foot. “Hey, man.” Adam flinches when Zakariya directly addresses him for the first time in months. He looks at Zak, silently waiting for him to continue.

“Look, I know I haven’t been that great of a friend lately.” Zakariya continues. I quietly slip into a closet by the front door so that neither of them will be able to see me. Their voices are slightly quieter and muffled from my new location, but the silence permits me to hear them without a problem.

“That great of a friend? Oh no, man, you’ve been a great friend. You know, leaving me hanging and all.” Adam says, his voice quiet but strong.

I can almost see Zakariya flinch, because his voice when he responds is strained. “Adam, look, it’s not like I don’t want to be friends with you. If things were different, I would do everything I could to tell you what I can’t tell you right now.”

“Zakariya, seriously, stop sounding like a bad teenage romance novel. This is real life, and the reality is that we’re not friends anymore. What did you want to tell me?”

“Adam, look, you don’t understand, man.” Zakariya says defensively.

Adam’s next words are cutting, though he says them diplomatically. “I understand perfectly. I understand that a true friend doesn’t leave you hanging. A true friend doesn’t just leave you without any explanation. We’ve been best friends for eight years. The least you could do is give me some kind of explanation before you ditched me. Now I’m telling you, just say what you have to say before Dawud comes back.”

Zakariya exhales deeply. “I need you to watch out for Maysa for me.” My eyes nearly pop out of my head. I strain to hear what Adam’s response is. My heart jumps when I hear my phone go off. I stand there in utter silence, not even daring to breathe properly.

“Dang, it’s Noha’s phone. She left it on the couch.” I hear Adam mumble. I breathe a sigh of relief. As long as it’s not anywhere near me, I don’t think I’ll get caught.

“Adam, look, I really need you to look after Maysa.” Zak’s tone is desperate and pleading.

“Don’t I always look out for her and Noha?” Adam asks.

“It’s serious this time. Whatever you do, please keep her away from Aiden Becks.”

Adam swallows loudly and says in a shaky whisper, “What did that jerk do now?”

Zak exhales another shaky breath. “I–I can’t tell you that. No, Adam, wait! Look, please, I can’t tell you right now but I promise I will once I figure stuff out. Please, Adam, just watch after Maysa for me, all right? I can’t be there for her right now.”