Two

Nicki
Next morning

     Sitting next to my mom in a hospital room, I looked at him, laying in the bed. After spending the night here, the smell of sickness and hospital food got to my head.

    "Ma, I'ma go get some fresh air." I said, getting up and walking away. Grabbing my phone off the charger as I left, I went outside and sat on the bench.

     Seeing texts from Thembi and Meek, I opened Meek's first.

Meek-{heard what happened to your brother. Call me when you get the chance}

     Going to Thembi's text, I sighed.

Thembi-{I'm coming to see Caiah at about 2 if your still going to be there}

Nicki-{I'll still be here probably}

    I went to my call list and found Meek's name. Pressing call, I leaned over and rested my elbows on my knees.

"Hello?"

     He was shuffling a bit on his side.

"Yeah, you cool?"

"Yes, he's fine. Just a wound."

"Look, if you need somebody to pay for the hospital bill, I can-"

"You don't have to." I smiled at his generosity.

"You sure." I nodded as if he could see me.

"Yes, Meek."

"Aight, its fine if I come down there real quick?"

"Um, sure. I don't think my mom would care."

"Okay, I'll be over there in a second."

"Why do you care so much?" I couldn't stop myself from asking.

"Because."

"Um, okay. See you later."

"Aight, bye."

Hanging up, I huffed. "I look a fucking mess." I said to myself.

Staying outside for a minute, I looked out. I need opportunities. I'm never getting out of the hood until I actually show somebody I can do something.

So in my thoughts, I didn't realize someone was sitting beside me until they said something. Looking over to my right, I saw Meek.

"Wassup? You good?" I shrugged. "Just thinking." I said, looking back out. "About what?" I sighed and shook my head. "Nothing."

"I get it, you don't want to tell me." I looked at him. "No, its not like that." He chuckled. "I know. I'm just fucking with you."

I laughed a little. "Shit," I said, standing up. "What?" I sighed, walking into the hospital, him behind me. "I have to work."

     "Where you work at?" I put my phone in my back pocket. "The Chick Fil A over on Volvo." He chuckled. "Cool, you want me to stay here with your moms?" I shrugged.

     "You don't have to if you don't want to." He nodded. "I'ma stay. She don't need to be alone." I bit my lip, half smiling.

     "Why do you care so much?" I said more to myself.

     Walking into Caiah's room, my mom was talking on the phone. Another person calling to console her, I assumed.

     As she ended the call, I looked at her. "Mom, this is Meek, my... friend," I looked at him, "Meek, this is my mom." She smiled, waving. "Is it okay if he stays here? Just to keep you company while I go work." I said.