Chapter 13

Don opened his eyes, peering through the shroud of sleep at the familiar surroundings. "It's good to be home." He stretched and groaned. "Looks like a cold shower this morning."

Jax looked up at him, his tail thumping the carpet. Don's eyes narrowed as Jax looked at the door and growled.

"How long have they been there?"

The hackles on Jax's neck raised as he stood and stalked toward the door.

Don grabbed the pistol from his bedside stand and moved to the screen in the corner. He touched the screen and flipped between the pictures before he shook his head. Christian sat on his couch. Dmitry stood in the kitchen. Two more men were sorting through his toolboxes in the garage. Another man stood on the sidewalk just outside the building. "Must have forgotten to set the alarms last night."

He glanced over his shoulder at Maisy's sleeping form. He slipped into his jeans and slid the gun into his waistband before he padded into the living room with Jax at his side.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to come out here. Usually, you're a bit more gungho," Christian said.

Don shrugged and stepped to the coffee pot. "Want a cup?"

Christian shook his head. "We need to come up with another plan. The news had spectacular coverage of the heist which apparently resulted in the bust."

"I saw."

"It seems the package is now missing. Why would it be missing, Don?" Dmitry asked.

Don raised his eyebrows over the rim of his coffee cup and shrugged.

"My guess is, we need to interview both the girls from the docks. We have one. I'm certain we can find the other," Christian stated.

That would mean they go after Melissa too. God help us.

Jax moved to the door and sat as if blocking access to Maisy.

"Call off your dog, Don," Dmitry said.

Don chuckled. "I didn't send him that way."

"Do it," Dmitry ordered.

"We'll set some rules first," Don countered as he set the cup in the sink.

"I'm warning you, Don."

Don smiled. "It's my house and my girl."

"And it's our operation," Dmitry countered.

"Of which I'm a part." He narrowed his eyes and balled a fist.

Dmitry stepped forward in a challenge.

"Don, Dmitry. Stop your incessant bickering. Don, what terms would you suggest?"

Don turned away from Dmitry. "Christian, you ask the questions. No one will lay a hand on her, my dog, my property or me. No weapons will be involved. It will be a friendly discussion. When I say we're done, we're done. No arguments." He squared a look at Dmitry.

Christian nodded. "Agreed. With that type of woman, it's much better to use honey than vinegar."

Dmitry snorted and rolled his eyes.

Don stopped at his bedroom door. "Oh and Dmitry, tell your men to get out of my shop. I don't need anything misplaced."

Don closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of the bed. He brushed the hair from Maisy's face. "Maisy, honey. You gotta wake up."

She groaned and pulled the blanket up over her head.

Don pulled it back down. "Maisy. Come on."