Chapter 3

Don flipped through the channels until Maisy yawned beside him. He heaved up of the couch and gestured to the door. "Bedroom's through here. Come on, I'll show you around."

He stepped past Maisy and into the bedroom, glancing over his shoulder to see if she'd follow. She sat for a moment as if warring with herself. Finally, she followed him into the room.

"Here's the bed. There's more sweats in the dresser. I'll make a few calls to get you some clothes tomorrow. You're welcome to use the exercise equipment in the other room. You know where the bathroom is. The kitchen is stocked fairly well. If there's something you want or need, let me know and I'll get it for you. I usually sleep on this side but wherever you're the most comfortable, I guess." He turned to grab his laptop off the dresser. "I'll be in later. Try to get some sleep."

Her eyes begged as she turned to face him. "Take me home."

Don nodded. "As soon as I can." His heart constricted as he heard her sob. He sent Jax into the room before he shut the door.

The laptop hummed for a moment before the screen blinked a blue-green and the configuration screen. Don cursed softly. "Stupid machine. Every time I'm in a hurry, you do this." He glanced at the bedroom door before he retrieved a beer from the fridge.

A pinging sound informed him of a new message. He logged into a series of chat rooms before he found the one he wanted. His fingers stilled over the keyboard as he decided what to type and how to word it.

Big problems. There's a girl.

Dump her.

Can't Gotta get her out.

Why.

Don paused. Family friend. He could picture Charlie cursing and throwing his pencil cup across the office.

Can we meet?

When

Tonite

Don grimaced and looked toward the bedroom. When.

Now.

No. I think she'd suspect if I tried to slip her something.

His mind raced, trying to decide if he could disguise any of the meds he had. Aspirin. He could slip a roofie in her drink and offer her an aspirin. Pretty sure she'd suspect something though. She'd hear the car leaving for sure. She won't stay put and I can't take her to meet Charlie. He shook his head and paced to the cupboard. The glass almost appeared in his hand along with the pill. It plinked into the bottom of the glass. Don poured some apple juice from the fridge and watched the pill dissolve, almost faster than he thought it should. He grabbed the bottles of tylenol and ibuprofen and took them to the bedroom.

Maisy gasped and pulled the blankets up to her chest as she scooted away from him on the bed.

"I, uh, brought you a drink and some pain killers. Didn't know which one you preferred." He set the bottles on the night stand and walked away. With the door closed, he held his breath and listened for her to take the pills. The rattle from the bottle made him smile. When the glass clinked on the nightstand, he breathed a sigh of relief. How long does that take?

He turned back to the laptop and typed. Thirty minutes.

Make it forty-five.

Yep.

Don logged out of the chat rooms and played on the internet for a few minutes, researching for the next job Christian wanted him to do . He glanced at the computer screen and hoped twenty-five minutes was enough time for the drugs to work. The bedroom door creaked open and light spilled across Maisy's still form that was sprawled across the bed. Jax lifted his head and wagged his tail against the pillow.