On the way back to the palace, Impa told me her recollection of the recent events I missed. Much happened as I remembered, except that Ganon's mask vanished three days earlier. Forewarned of the impending disaster, Nabooru had hastily returned to Castletown. With Impa's help, she had arrested the Gerudo king. Koume and Kotake became the victims of their own sorcery and were banished to another realm. If what Nabooru told me is true, they now believe they are the proud owners of a potion shop deep within a swamp, with absolutely no recollection of their former lives.

I wish I could have accompanied Navi to the forest, but the Sages feared it would make the transition more difficult for both of us. I remember arguing often with Sheik and still recall some of my stinging remarks with great shame. Until that moment, however, I had never considered arguing with Impa. Predictably, that was a battle I was destined to lose, and lose I did.

Once we arrived at the palace, Impa announced to all that I was her ward. No doubt the guards who recalled my expedition over the wall were left bewildered, but they dared not question Impa.

For those first few days, I spoke to no one, dazed, confused, and too heartsick for conversation. The food brought to me was left uneaten, and I didn't even rise to tend to the hearth inside my room. Twice, Princess Zelda called on me. I did not return her summons. On the third occasion, she came to my room and knocked on the door, but I could not bear the thought of seeing her. Even now, I can still picture the blade that took her life, still see her blood pooling upon the black stone floor, and still hear that awful gurgle as she tried in vain to draw a final breath. I never stopped to consider that it wasn't easy on Impa either, for she too bore that memory.

I think I lost track of time. I kept to my room and ate so little that what strength I had left began to wane. Impa assigned me tutors to distract me, but I was seldom focused on my lessons. Twice, I was invited to spar with the young prince, Ewan. On both occasions, I let him win. Yet, even in my weakened state, I could have easily beaten him. I didn't go the third time; it was an effort just to consider getting out of bed. I was determined to ignore everyone. In fact, I even ignored the king's summons, which he did not take kindly to. I only got out of that one without being hauled before him because Impa said I was ill. A healer was sent for, but after much prodding and treating me like a child, she shook her head and left, muttering that I was suffering a sickness of the mind, a sickness she was accustomed to seeing in battle-weary veterans, not children.

I recall one morning, some weeks after my return, when I was torn from my dreams by someone pounding on my door. It was latched, but that never seemed to stop Impa from getting inside.

Pulling the sheets over me, which were once again drenched in sweat following a nightmare, I attempted to ignore the disturbance. I wanted to be alone to dwell in my misery; I felt sick with nausea and weaker than a mewling babe. Navi would have chastised me and probably called me a lazy boy while she was at it. Bitterly, I reminded myself she was gone and was no longer mine. I was being selfish, and I knew it. Thinking my visitor was the sword master wondering why I hadn't shown up at first light, or Queen Lilias, who sometimes came to see me, or yet another healer, I pretended to be asleep.

Unfortunately for my sullen self, my visitors were not convinced.

"Link! If you don't open this door right now, I will get Darunia to knock it down!" I was shocked to hear Saria's voice.

I think she would have gotten Darunia to do that, but I wasn't planning to find out. Rising from my bed, I threw on a horribly itchy robe over my tunic and undid the latch, expecting to find Impa and Saria, or even Darunia. However, I had not expected to find all six Sages and Zelda standing outside the door. Their troubled expressions turned to a mixture of relief and pity... except for Ruto, that is.