“Why is Edward Kingston teaching me bloody Spanish?”

 Oops, she had said that out loud.

 ******

“Miss Goodall, do you realize what your mistake is? ” Principal Audrey asked as she smoothed the creases on her immaculate Christian Dior suit.

“Yes, I am humbly aware of my wrongdoings,” Alison whispered- the same thing she had always said and practiced in Japan. Her eyes surveyed the air-conditioned Principal’s room. It was filled with plaques and newspaper cuttings of Cornwall Institution and there was a huge pile of reference books in a bookshelf. Not an ideal place where she wanted to spend her afternoon.

She didn’t want to say this. But it was not  even her fault that she had actually said a rude, demeaning word in front of the teacher. It hadn’t even occurred to her that she had said it out loud. But she knew she did when snickers started erupting from the students and there was an amused smile on the Terror’s face.

Relieved that the Terror wasn’t bursting with anger, Alison hurried to her seat but not before that cold, rough voice said, “You’re sent to detention, Miss Goodall.”

Oh hell.

Returning back to the present, she could only sigh and blankly stared at her hands, wondering if her parents would ground her for getting trouble on the first day of school. She was devoid of anger or any emotion because she was trained not to show any signs of weakness in front of others.

 “Are you all right, Miss Goodall? Apart from this…small incident, I’m assuming you are fitting well in school? ” Principal Audrey put on a sympathetic voice, as if she felt pity for her. Alison felt anger brew in her chest. She didn’t want sympathy or pity. If she hadn’t been taught to be courteous, she would have just banged the table or do something drastic just like Robert.

 “Yes.. I’m fine, Madam,” she said hesitantly in a controlled, strained voice. “May…may I go now?”

 “Yes, you may, I’ll speak to Mr Kingston about this incident. I trust you wouldn’t repeat the same offence again.”

 Whatever.  Alison wanted to say but she merely nodded and bolted out of that terrifying office. The school was silent- having emptied of all the students around an hour earlier. Grinding some silver coins in her hand against one another, Alison was about to head towards the bus stop to take public transport before a loud voice shouted out, “Alison!”

She stopped.

She couldn’t believe it.

It was bloody Terror.

 Swivelling her head mechanically around like a robot, Alison saw him leaning against the car alongside with Alex, Jane and Carrie.

Alex’s face lightened up when he saw her, “Alison! Over here! ” He waved and Alison raised her hand weakly before making her way slowly there.

“What took you so long? ” Carrie demanded and Alison mumbled, “Er, I had a talk with Principal Greene. Why did you wait for me? ”

If Carrie hadn't not been confused already, she was by that point. Scratching her head, she said vaguely, “Well, Edward said we had to wait.”

“Yea, he should. After all, he was the one who got you into all that trouble,” Alex muttered darkly. The Terror, who had remained silent up to this moment, merely shrugged and got into the car. He had changed out of his office uniform and wore a dark green T-shirt and jeans. In fact, he looked really nice.