Chapter Five

Sherlock could not help but feel somewhat exuberant as he left the morgue, John following close behind. This was an excellent case. Not open and shut like half the cases Lestrade handed over to him. He hailed a taxi and both he and John climbed in.

"So, where exactly are we going?" asked John, as he flicked through a thick volume of case notes Lestrade had given him. "Name was Chloe Nelson. It says here she died at work ... She was a secretary for Mills Incorporated ... Found slumped at her desk by colleague, Todd Harmer."

"Indeed," replied Sherlock. "We shall be revisiting the crime scene while Lestrade's lot still have it cordoned off. We should be able to find something that Lestrade missed."

"So what do you think killed her?" asked John, loudly enough for the taxi driver to hear so that he might cast them a look of alarm.

"Absolutely no idea."

"Really? This must be a first. Sherlock Holmes, actually doesn't have a clue," laughed John.

"False, I do have a clue. I just require a great many more clues before I can be certain."

"First the solar system, now this. Must be losing your touch," smirked John.

Sherlock's face twinged with annoyance and for a moment he did not reply. "I thought we agreed to let that go," he said quietly.

"It's the solar system! It's far too good to let go," exclaimed John.

"It's really not that big of a deal! Anyway, we need to focus on this investigation. This is something we haven't seen before, so it won't be a straightforward case."

"We don't have straightforward cases, you won't take them."

"Fair point, those are so boring."

"Yes, nothing like a straightforward homicide to ruin your day," replied John dryly.

Sherlock tilted his head as he looked at John, "I'm beginning suspect you're being sarcastic."

Mills Incorporated towered above the city skyline. It was a typical apartment office building, made entirely of glass that was probably designed to be new or modern, but instead just required more cleaning. The electric doors slid open. Inside was sleek and spacious. The reception desk was placed at the back of the room, in direct line of sight of the doors. Behind the desk sat two young women in neat uniforms. Sherlock and John approached the blonde receptionist. She appeared to be inspected her perfectly manicured nails. "Hey Tiff, does this look cracked to you?" she asked the brunette seated next to her.

The brunette looked over from her computer, "Hmm, yeah. You go back and get a refund. Where'd you get them done?"

"That place round the corner," she replied, looking sadly at her hand.

"Well, I won't be going there."

John cleared his throat.

"Oh. Hello and welcome to Mills Incorporated my name is Tanya how can I help you?" she said, not pausing once to breathe.

"We're here to look into the death of Chloe Nelson," explained John.

Tanya blinked and looked a little uneasy. "I'm sorry, I can't reveal any information to the public."

"We realise you are an uninformed, underpaid secretary, so would you be so kind as to direct us to someone who can actually assist us?" asked Sherlock flatly.

The insult seemed to slide right over her head. "Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but we are investigating her death and need to inspect the crime scene," replied John patiently.

"The police already came, we can't let members of the public-"

"For God's sake, how many times must we do this. We have been hired by the police to investigate what is a suspicious death. But when it comes to evidence, time is of the essence, now who must we talk to to see her office?" snapped Sherlock, aggressively taking off his scarf.

The receptionist paled and quickly muttered, "I'll call Mr Biggs."

A man framed like a rugby player strutted out, wearing a business suit. His dark hair was thinning, and he appeared to be sweating rather profusely. "Ah Kelsey, were these the gentlemen you were referring to?"

"It's Tanya, and yes," said the girl, wearing a bright smile like he was the most wonderful man in the world.

"Now how can I help you lads?"

"We're here to conduct some further investigations into the death of Chloe Nelson. We will need to speak with yourself, some of staff, and we need to search your offices, if you would be so obliging," said Sherlock rapidly.

Mr Biggs took a slow breath as he took all this in. "Um, I'd been told the police were finished their investigations."

"As the majority of the police force struggle with basic maths, I don't think you'll struggle when I say they've fobbed the case of to us. They required some extra help," replied Sherlock.

"Erm ... " stuttered Mr Biggs, his face glowing. "I suppose I can allow you access ... I mean, it's a terrible imposition ... "

"Death is an imposition. Let's go John," spoke Sherlock, heading towards the elevator.

"Um, sorry about him," said John, hastily following after Sherlock. Mr Biggs looked quite ruffled as he followed behind.

Chloe's office was tiny, as most secretary's tend to be. It was quite typical, with a couple of filing cabinets and a crowded desk with a neat inbox, complete with a couple of photos of what looked like friends and family. "So this was her office. She was Todd Harmer's secretary. He's a good man, found the girl too. The poor guy's going to need counselling now. In fact quite a few of them were good friends with her. I suppose I'll have to pay for counselling session for them too ..."

John tried to listen as Mr Biggs waffled on about the cost of psychiatrists these days, but Sherlock was busy inspecting the room.

"No sign of forced entry, the door wasn't locked, so anyone could have come in," he said as he wiped a gloved hand over the doorway. "Were there any visitors to the building on that day?"

"Well, all visitors are logged by the receptionists. They have a staff hours as well, so you should talk to them on your way out."

John nodded, "Thank you, do you know of anyone in the offices that might want to kill her?"

"Well I'm afraid I don't really know the ins and outs of the relationships of the secretaries. Hang on now, you're saying it was murder? I knew you called it suspicious, but are you really saying someone in my company might have murdered her!?"

"We can't rule anything out, given the evidence provided," said Sherlock from under the desk.

He straightened suddenly. "Excellent. That will be all from here. I'd like to speak with Todd Harmer, thank you."

~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone!!

Thanks for reading and voting! It means the world!!! <3

Also, if you're a fan of Dorm 221B, please check out our facebook page, so you can stay tuned with Dorm 221B news, and give us your feedback and ideas!! YAY!!! A new medium for you guys to remind us to get our butts into gear and write!!

https://www.facebook.com/dorm221b

Deductions: A Johnlock Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें