One - Faded Memories

Start from the beginning

I shake my head again, shamefully.

"Well, I guess that is how karma works," she mutters under her breath before she turns her attention back to the injured passengers.

"Excuse me?" I ask, unsure if I heard her right.

"Oh nothing. Thanks for your help, Phoenix."

When she says my name something inside of me clicks, like a lightbulb going off. It doesn't feel weird, it doesn't sound odd...the minute she says it—it feels right. Phoenix. Yeah, it just fits. "Do I know you?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

She spins back around, her expression conflicted. "You know, we really thought we were doing the right thing in the beginning...we just, things just, got out of hand, you know? A mistake that turned into a snowball. Douglas never meant for any of this to happen."

I gulp. I don't know what to do with the information she just fed me. I wish I felt one way or another about it, but I just feel numb. None of what she says to me has any bearing.

* * *

I can hear faint noises in the background as I come to. My eyelids open slowly as my mind begins registering what is happening. I tense up when I realize that I have no use of either of my hands, which are tied behind my back. I glance to my right and notice Jose passed out in the chair beside me. My pulse begins racing as my eyes scan the surroundings.

The last thing I can remember is having sex with Cullen. Cullen. My mind immediately begins racing. If I'm here, what did they do to him? I begin thrashing about in an attempt to free myself, but my ankles are tied to the chair so I end up toppling over onto my shoulder roughly. I groan out in pain when I see someone out of the corner of my eye coming toward me.

"What the hell?" I growl out as they pick me up and put me upright again. "Where's President Jackson?"

The unfamiliar guard ignores my question and instead unties Jose. Jose is still out of it, but he begins to slowly roll his head to the side, groggy. The guard lifts him up underneath the arms and then another guard comes in to help carry the faux president to a doctors table. They begin hooking him up to IV's, and it doesn't take long for me to realize what they are doing with him.

They are going to make us into human blood bags.

A full body shudder moves through me. This isn't the first time I've been taken against my will and my blood extracted without my permission.

Even though I could care less what they do to Jose, I know that I will inevitably be next. There's no denying it. My reckoning day has come. My mind begins racing, sorting through any potential scenarios where I might survive this. The odds are not in my favor.

My eyes are scanning the room and the guards in it. I am outnumbered. Three to one. Where the hell is Cullen or Ike when I need them? I can feel the sweat pooling at the top of my forehead, and my heart thumping against my chest. A noise pulls me out of my bubble, and I see Jose thrashing about as all the guards restrain him. There are strange noises coming from his throat, a mixture of screams and gurgling.

My fingers are working tirelessly at the knots that hold my wrists. My eyes are shifting from the door to the table, making sure I still have an opening. The feeling of undoing even one of the knots is euphoria to me, and adrenaline builds inside my body so fast, I'm unprepared.

I realize that this might be my only shot at an escape. I don't have to think twice about it. There's no considering it, I just rip the rope away from my wrists and then bend over and untie the one around my ankles. I don't think I've ever worked so fast in my life. As soon as all my limbs are free I jump up and begin barreling toward the door to the room.

"Stop!" I hear the guards yell. I don't have to look back to feel them chasing me, their guns pointed at my back. My hand wraps around the door handle and I rip it with such a force, my shoulder pops out. I scream out in pain, but don't let the pain slow me down. It's just mental, Phoenix, keep going.

I pump my legs up and down as I run for my life through the hallway. I glance up and see a camera following my every move. Looking back, I make sure I still have my head start. There is a crowd of guards chasing after me, but I'm running fast enough, I think I'll make it. I'm in the home stretch, only a few more steps...

I don't see it coming; an outstretched arm flies out to block my path, and I ended up toppling over it to the ground, my shoulder bearing most of the impact. It knocks the wind out of me, and I'm gasping for air. I see the shadow moving along the ceiling as the human road block leans over me.

"President Jackson?" I gasp.

"I'm sorry, Phoenix, but I can't let you do that," he says calmly. He motions with his head toward me, and then the guards rush over and lift me up off the ground. I cry out in pain again, and the president grimaces. "She's making too much noise. Put her in the plane."

"Wait!" Wait!" I shriek. "Why are you doing this? We helped you reclaim this place. Why would you betray us like this?"

The President sighs. "You saw what we wanted you to see. I like you, Phoenix, I really do, but in life, sometimes, you have to look at the bigger picture. In this world, you are the bigger picture."

My blood runs cold.

"What about my friends? What are you going to do with them?" I ask.

He reaches over and smooths my hair down, making my body tense up. "Don't you worry about them, they're going to be fine." I can't find solace in his words, all I keep seeing is death.

***************************************************

A/N-

Hi guys!

It's been awhile, I know! Please let me know if you are liking the story or if you think there are certain changes I should make. Also, don't forget to vote if you are enjoying the story.  Don't forget if you're not doing something you love, you're not really living.

<3 Kira