Chapter 12: We Arn't Who We Think We Are

Jackie's POV:

Keith told me something, something I will never forget. All along I thought the tests were for athletics, but we really are lab rats. We are just

mutants like Keith. Just as mean and evil. I never thought we were like this, never have I thought I was part animal. Those tests, the experiments the everything was just to get us to turn on each other. Soon that will kick in and we will all be in a full out war. Why they did this to us is beyond me, do they want us dead that badly?

"Jackie?" Beau asks as he turns to me, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing." I smile as I sit down.

"Jackie something is up." Sid says.

"Nothing is wrong!" I hiss.

"Jackie, what did Keith do to or tell you?" James asks. I guess I better tell them.

"We Arn't who we think we are." I start, "we are just as mutant as Keith. Soon we will turn on each other." I start but the guys all laugh.

"Jackie are you ok?" Letang asks.

"Guys this is not funny! We have a toxic substance in our blood and as soon as it spreads to our entire body, we will be crazy." I explain and that shuts them right up.

"Define crazy." Paul states.

"Wolf like scenes, super strength and we won't be able to control ourselves when we get mad."

"That doesn't seem bad." Geno says.

"Remember what Keith looked like?" I ask and they all nod. "Imagine that same image but 4x bigger and more powerful." everyone winces.

"That means we are like giant dogs." Jordan say.

"Exactly."

"But, Jackie how do we stop this?" Maddie asks.

"We can't." I sadly say.

"What happens when we change?" Maddie's snaps.

"Don't know. Everyone is different." I explain. Man, how could this be happing. Me having a conversation with some of my closest friends and my boyfriend, about us not being...human.

"Jackie, who told you this?" Glass asks.

"Keith." I sigh. I turn from the team and walk toward the door. The rain let up and it is a beautiful morning.

I open the door and walk out. I take a breath if fresh air and look around. I walk down by the little river and sit on a log. Why does it have to be us? Why? I look at the water and see my reflection staring back at me.

Be strong. Don't let this hurt you, be who you are. Be true to yourself.

I try to imagine life like this, but I can't. I jump at the thought of being mutant.

"Jackie?" I hear someone as I turn around and am embarrassed in a hug.

"Beau." I whisper.

"Jackie, are you ok?"

"No."

"It's ok, we are here for you." he says as he hugs me. Beau is like s brother to me and I know I can tell him anything.

"Beau?" I say and he looks at me with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"Anything." he smiles. Just than a sharp pain shoots up my side and I look down to blood. I grab my side and Beau jumps as he picks me up and carries me inside.

Beau's POV:

"Beau?" Sid runs over. "JACKIE?"

"She's bleeding!" I say and everyone runs over.

"Apply pressure to the wound! I will get the first aid kit." James yells. How could this happen, especially to Jackie.

The poor girl already has enough pain.

James comes running back and throws me the kit. I begin to patch up the wound when I hear a gun shot. I look out the window and see hunters walking. They stop when they see the blood on the ground. They look around for a moment than begin to walk.

"I know who did this to Jackie." I hiss as I point to the hunters. The next thing I know the cabin door flies open and we are surrounded.

"This is you're fault!" Sid screams as he points to Jackie. The four smile as they look at all of us.

"Look." One says as he points to Jackie. They look like cave men, with the long hair and they are hunched over. They walk over to Jackie and try to pick he up.

"Stop!" we all scream as we run to Jackie.

"Big dogs." another says as he looks at me.

"Big dogs?" I say as I turn to the team and they shrug. I run over to the mirror and look at my reflection. I scream when I see some wolf looking back at me. Big dog is right.

"Beau?" Jordan asks and I push him in front I the mirror. He shrieks as he jumps. "Is that? Are we?" he whispers and I nod. Everyone looks at us and we grab the mirror and they all look at there reflections. the only normal ones are James, Jackie, Maddie and Max. Jackie was right.

"But wait, if James, Jackie, Max and Maddie are normal, what do you see us as?" I ask.

"You look like Beau." James explains.

"If you see Beau as himself, than why do those hunters say we look like big dogs?" Sid asks. We all look at the four strangers and than to Jackie, who they seem to be watching.

"We fix her." they say. "Make her better."

"Should we?" I ask and the room stays silent.