The massive doors are swung open, the stamping of boots then echoing across the walls before the door slams shut with a loud 'bang'.

Eric.

I check the wall for a clock - *four minutes late*.

My eyes wander back to Eric as he walks straight past; with no recognition, no hello, no actual, physical, human communication between either of us.

Well, that's rude.

I find myself scowling as I watch Eric stomp over to his table, eating his breakfast like it had just insulted him in the foulest way possible.

*Who pissed in his tea?*

'Lana.... Earth to Lana -Hey,' He shakes my shoulder, and my head snaps around to look at him, 'Woah, woah - sorry. Y'know, your face doesn't look as pretty when you do that.'

Jay chuckles and I realise I'm still scowling, so I return to my normal face.

'Sorry.' I sigh, 'I was just thinking.'

Jay nods and smiles, and I return the gesture with a tug at my lips.

- - - - - -

After breakfast, Jay and I make our way to training, which - according to him - would be one-on-one combat.

Finally - I think to myself - Time for some fun.

A few people give me odd looks as I pass by them, walking further into the training room. I turn to ask Jay what the issue is, but he too looks at me with that same look.

'What?' I whine, throwing my head back; Jay only laughs at my reaction.

'Seriously,' I groan, 'Why are you - why are all of you - looking at me like I just ate somebody?'

I raise my eyebrows in expectation.

Jay, thankfully, answers, 'You're smiling like a psychopath.' I purse my lips as a frown instead forms on my face.

'Seriously?'

'Seriously.' Jay coughs, 'You look like you actually did just eat someone.'

Well, no more smiling for me.

'I was just happy...' I pout, and Jay turns his head to the side, like a puppy. A cute, furry, small, little-

'Happy? For what reason?' He asks, like the answer wasn't obvious.

'It's one-on-one combat...' I lead on, and Jay's face only looks more confused.

'...Aaand I get to beat people up...!' I say enthusiastically.

'Okay...' Jay's face contorts, 'You're crazy.'

Maybe I should pipe down on the enthusiasm...

'Why thank you!' I place a hand over my heart, 'I am honoured.'

Jay laughs in response and I laugh with him, 'But I love-'

'Initiates!' Someone shouts, and the whole room goes silent, everyone turning to face the front.

Aand, guess who's stood there.

Come on, guess.

No?

Okay, it's...

My body swerves to the front, and my eyes immediately catch his ocean blue ones.

'Today we are doing one on one combat!' His voice echoes around the room, and for a second, I swear I thought I saw a window crack.

Seriously.

'You have all been assorted into pairs; you and that person will be fighting each other.' Mumbles echo around the room.

He steps to the side and I notice an object is stood behind him - a blackboard.

The blackboard.

I can only tell because of the shape, as it is covered in a black cloth.

After I had noticed the blackboard, I immediately asked myself - I wonder who I'm paired up with?

As if my mind was read, the cloth is removed and I finally see the names.

My smile immediately disappears, and I feel a wave of shock overcome me. Then a wave of anger.

Eric did this on purpose.

I pull my eyes away, and look to the right of the board as my eyes are swallowed up by His.

He did this on purpose.

- - - - - -

The look Lana gave Eric could make a man go six foot under; if only that man wasn't anchored.

The only reaction that Lana got was a smug look accompanied by a smirk, which only angered her more.

Lana tore her dark eyes away from Eric's as she spat the name out-

"Jay."

- - - - - -

*that was sarcasm btw.