Chapter Twelve

The dreamless sleep I thought I was getting wasn't all what it turned out to be.

*
I feel the person I'm laying on move, taking the warmness and comfortability with them. I can't move, I can't see, but I can hear. I hear the person's footsteps getting quieter, leaving silence behind, but they soon return, and I feel a presence beside me. The warmness that disappeared a while ago, has now returned. It's not a person, more like a... a blanket. The person wraps me in the covers, moving my arms into a different position. They walk away again, only to come back making a lot of racket beside my 'bed'. The cushion I'm laid on dips down a little, and I sense eyes on my face. I feel a warm hand brush against my cheek, tucking my hair behind my right ear and out of my eyes. The hand returns, cupping one side of my face, massaging small patterns into my cheek with warm fingertips. The gesture is soothing... soothing enough to make me fall asleep again.
*

Bright light floods the room, making me close my eyes tighter. Just as I'm about to open my eyes and stretch, a hand touches my cheek and massages patterns onto it. It's gentle, soft, but most of all, warm. I feel like I've felt this feeling before, this warmness, this... 'Lana.' The calm, masculine voice echoes around the room. 'Lana, wake up.' He says in a slow, quiet tone. He begins to massage patterns into my face, like he was before. I swear, every time he does this it sends me to sleep, don't fall asleep, don't- I open my eyes quickly, a little too quickly- the light hurts my eyes and I blink a few times to stop the blurriness.

The first thing I see is a pair of grey eyes that gaze into mine. The second thing I see are his muscular arms wrapped in ink. The tattoo crawls up both arms, and under his black shirt. Of course it's covered up. I want to see the rest of it, stupid shirts, why do guys need them? Ask politely, and he might take his shirt off for you, wait... did that sound weird?...

I see him smirking from the corner of my eye.

'Honestly, I don't even know what people find so funny these days.' I say sarcastically, crossing my arms.

Eric lifts an eyebrow.

'I do.' Eric admits.

'Would you care to enlighten me?' I ask, lifting my eyebrow just like Eric.

He chuckles to himself.

'Is that your motto?' Eric asks.

'What?' He's so confusing.

'Would you care to enlighten me- is that your motto?' He smiles.

'Not really... Stop changing topics!' I shout, smacking him playfully on the shoulder, causing Eric to laugh.

'Your reaction.' Eric mumbles and I frown, confused.

'I find your reaction funny.' He confirms.

'Oh.' I bet I sounded dumb, Oh well.

'Oh- is that all you're going to say?' He asks cockily.

'Yep.' I say, popping the 'p'.

'Well... that's unfortunate...' He says quietly.

'Why?' I ask, looking up into his eyes.

For a second they light up, but the light fades just as quickly as it appeared.

Eric shuffles closer, keeping his eyes on mine. He says something, mumbles something, so I could only hear a part of it.

'Of...the...I could...you...'

He presses his mouth into a firm line, as if to stop any other words from coming out, words that he'd regret.

'What?' I ask him.

Silence...

'Nothing.' He murmurs.

'Didn't sound like nothing.' I answer.

Silence...

Eric clears his throat.

'How are your injuries?'

Change of topic, hmm, somethings not right...

'They're fine.' I say sharply. 'How are your injuries, Eric?' I ask, Eric frowns.

'What injuries?' He asks confused.

'You know, the ones your not telling me about?' Eric's frown deepens.

'Why did you change the topic?' I question, Eric's frown fades.

'Why avoid the question?' Eric stays silent.

'If you have something to tell me, tell me. Straight up. Now.' I add.

Eric gazes into my eyes, I do the same.

His eyes... Are so... Unusual... So... Different.

His face comes closer to mine.

And that's when-