Chapter Eighteen

As I open a set of wide, glass doors, my eyes fall on the full room. My entrance obviously hadn't made them stop and gape- unlike when Eric enters - and the sound of chattering and laughing still filled the air.

Eric and I had agreed that I would walk into the room five minutes before him, and once that time had passed, he would come in, everybody completely oblivious as to what I - no - we, were doing last night.

That sounded weird.

After all the fussing around this morning, with the whole, kissing thing... I couldn't really think straight. My body was in Dauntless but my mind was elsewhere; a peaceful place; quite the opposite of Dauntless, really.

It's ironic; I was in Abnegation, one of the most peaceful factions (except Amity - but they're high on bread so that doesn't count) and then I transfer to Dauntless, because I don't fit in Abnegation; then my mind wanders back to peaceful, happy, definitely-not-Dauntless places. Stupid.

A pat on the back catches my attention, and I turn to face a sleepy-eyed Jay.

'Hey.' Jay yawns, his nose crinkling.

'Hi.' I wave, turning back to the food counter - which I have no idea how I got to, by the way - my eyes scanning the blackboard menu in search for breakfast.

Jay's arm curls around my shoulder, 'I'd recommend the Belgian Waffles,' He says into my ear, 'They're delicious.'

'I'll take your word for it.' Jay smiles, a toothy smile, as I turn toward to cashier.

'Two Belgian waffles plea- oh, wait' I turn to Jay, 'Have you had breakfast yet?'

He shakes his head, 'I didn't have time; I saw you and came right over.' He smiles.

I turn back to the cashier, 'Make that four Belgian Waffles, ooh... Do you have syrup? Yes? Okay, I'll have... Chocolate sauce and strawberries please. Jay?' I turn around. He holds up his fingers, 'Make that two.'

We both walk away with wide grins on our faces.

'So,' Jay starts 'Where were you last night?'

I pause, thinking for a second before replying, 'The infirmary.'

Jay's brow scrunches, 'Why?'

'I hurt myself while training and they told me it was easier if I just stayed over.' That's really only a half lie, right?

'Okay.'

He didn't sound convinced.

I look around the wide room, searching for Eric... Who still isn't here yet.

The table he usually sits at is empty...

'Who you looking for?' Jay asks, looking around the room too.

'Oh, no one.' I reply, searching the room once more, and Jay pulls a face.

I was just admiring the walls, it is a lovely shade of grey.

'So,' I start, cutting into a waffle and chewing it, 'What you been doing these past couple of days?'

Jay grins, 'Just the usual, y'know, sleeping, beating people up, sleeping, causing fights, sleepi-'

'Okay,' I laugh 'I get it, fighting and sleeping.'

Jay joins in laughing, and then the room goes quiet -Well, silent actually but-

My thoughts cut off as Jay turns to the doorway, and I immediately turn to the doorway too, curious as to what could possibly be more important than me.*