Chapter Two

I never liked riding on a horse. In my opinion, it was so unnecessary. We didnt need them. However it was my mothers love for them that made my father begin to breed them. He bred only the finest though, for he thought royalty required finest possessions. And so we bred stallions. On my birthday when i had turned two hundred, my father gifted me with a black stallion whom i had given the name Shadow. I thought it suited her perfectly. Although i loved her, it was riding her that turned me away. She galloped with me in her saddle but she was the only one really there. She was the only one enjoying this. Once we reached the rendevous point my brother stopped us and looked around. I did as well and suddenly i froze. "Ariahni? Have you sensed something?" I did. Lycans. They had been here. I froze again. Phaedra appeared by my side and put a hand on mine, "Tell Khan what you could see." "Your scout force. They're long gone. Taken and killed by the lycans. The caravan was torn apart. The supplies torn to shreds. The humans taken." "Anything else sister?" "There is a different scent here. Not lycan but they are a part of the lycans. Its very confusing. I cant quite pinpoint who or what they are." Khan nodded and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "You did good little sister. Lets get you home. A vial of blood will help. Im sorry to have exposed you to this after so many years." "Its time Khan. We must all move on at some point." With a warm smile he moved back to the head of the group and ordered us to return to the castle. A long night, maybe more, awaited us. Plans needed to be adjusted.

Khan didnt let me stay to help out. As soon as we returned home, he ordered me to stay in my chambers and recover. I rebelled against his order, saying that as my brother he was being too protective, but he fought against that, bringing his title as king into it. I couldnt go against an order when he put that in so i submitted myself to confinement and recovery. It hurt knowing that they were trying to protect me when i knew they needed my help. I was an expert when it came to the forest and the outside of our home.

"Khan, what are you doing? Shes right you know. And you bringing your title into it..." "Yes Phaedra i know i was wrong okay, but its the right thing to do." "Well, i suggest you make up your mind brother. Because you say that we work good together but when it comes to Ariahni, you put up the protective brother role and tell her an otherwise different opinion. Its confusing her and you can see it written on her face. We need to give her a chance." I sighed. She was right. But as the oldest i was always given the task to take care of my sisters. Phaedra had grown out of the task but Ariahni, she was always the favored one by all of us and the one we all strove to protect all the time. However, i had felt a strong need to protect her despite being given the task by our parents. "So what should i do sister? I dont want her to get hurt. I let her go, something happens, and i shoulder the burden." She calmly nodded her head in disagreement and sat beside me. "No brother, together we will keep her safe. You wont be alone. We'll come up with something and we'll tell Ariahni. By doing this, she will know that we acknowledge her and that we trust her with the knowledge that she will provide." I nodded while looking at the flames in the fireplace. Feeling the air shift, i looked beside me to see that she had left. It was her way of leaving me to my thoughts. Standing up, i made the decision to see Ariahni and fix my mistake.

The bed moved as a body moved towards me and wrapped me in a hug. He kissed my forehead. "Ariahni? Are you feeling any better?" Instead of answering him, i turned my head and gave him a no. "Is it because of what i said before?" I nodded. "Im sorry little sister. But its the task i was given by mother and father." It was at this time that i decided to speak. "I am three hundred and sixty-two years old Khan. I think that task no longer applies." He laughed. "No matter the number sister, i will still feel the same. The typical old brother who will be there for you no matter what." He hugged me tighter. "Please let me help you." He sighed. "I have decided to let you. With nudging from Phaedra of course. Shes drawing up some plans now and we'll discuss them tomorrow. But for now, i really want you to recover from today. Okay." As if to emphasize his point, he laid a protective hand on my stomach. I nodded and after a final kiss on the forehead, he left my chambers.