Chapter 3

I slammed my car door as quick as I could and ran to my apartment, keys jingling in my hands and bag on my back. My footsteps echoed in the long hallway. Once I got inside my apartment, I shut it and locked every lock. I still didn't feel safe. I closed all the windows, shut them all, and turned all the lights off. I was panicking now. I began sweating and pacing around my coffee table in the living room. It was now 8:30, only 30 more minutes. I started to feel tears roll down my cheeks. Why was this happening to me, it had to be me, please just leave me alone. I wanted to clean but my focus was elsewhere. Also I could barely see with almost no light coming into my place.

I went into my bathroom, which had no windows, and turned on the lights. With the anxiety I had now, I could only imagine what would happen if he was in my bathroom or something. I changed my clothes and flung my clothes into the connected bedroom. It almost made it into the dirty clothes basket. I put my light hoodie on and some old athletic shorts on. It was still chilly at night, and under the blankets it was warm. My hair was kept the same, in a ponytail. I brought all my snacks into my bedroom. This was going to be my hideout for the night. I tidied up a little, but I didn't care at this point. I threw some trash away and put some clothes away. I didn't bother cleaning the kitchen or living room. By the time I was done, Zach should be here any minute.

-

-Zach S.-

Hey, i'm outside, i knocked you didn't answer :'(

-

My heart was racing, this was it. I had so many emotions going through me. I was scared. Scared for my life. I was having major anxiety because of Josh. But I also had good anxiety because of Zach. He was going to be here and it was all going to be okay. I left my hideout to let him in. He was waiting with a worried smile on his face. He wore his Cloud 9 hoodie and a black t-shirt underneath. He always was looking adorable. But I didn't have time to stare into his beautiful eyes right now or gaze at him in awe while the door was open. I pulled him in and closed all the locks.

Click

Click

Squeak

Click

He was looking around in confusion and at awe for all the locks I had.

"Jude, what's going on? Why are all the lights off? Please tell me this isn't a joke. And you're not kidnapping me."

"Zach, this might sound crazy. Hear me out. I have issues. Bad issues."

I led him to my bedroom by his wrist. He followed without hesitation. I sat him down on my bed and I sat next to him. I looked into his eyes and his piercing eyes broke mine. The water works were starting. I fell into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me, rubbing my back in long strokes. Once the initial waterworks were over, I sat back up and tried to blub out everything going on. He deserved an explanation after I just kind of broke down into his arms in a dark apartment with no context.

"Jude, what's going on, you can tell me. And I'll be here for you."

"Zach, I-I just don't know where to start. Well, actually I do. A while ago, on the first day of school here. This guy, his name is Josh, I don't know his last name. He tried talking to me. But he's a stalker. He was whispering into my ear, following me, and today I went to Target and he followed me there. He tried talking to me, and he was following me as I sent those very texts earlier. That's what it was about. I-I need someone I'm so scared. You're the only one making me feel safer. If only you knew the-the forcefulness of his words."

He looked at me in shock, then brought me back into a hug while still stroking my back. We sat like this while I still was recovering my breath from crying.