Chapter 4: The Bittens

Start from the beginning

"Cool!" Bradley began and his arm comes around my shoulders. "So, uh, whataya say we date sometime?"

"Um," I look at Maya for help. She rolls her eyes again and shoves his arm off of my shoulders.

"Bradley, she's not interested."

"Buzz off, Maya. I'm tryin' to talk to someone." Bradley scowled.

"Sorry, Bradley. You seem nice, but, um, I'm not really into you."

He sighs and shrugs his shoulders. "All right. Hey, Laura!" He jogs up in the crowd to talk to a girl who smiles when he catches up.

"Don't worry about him," Maya says. "He's harmless. Just annoying."

I nod my head.

The group of students is led through the halls of Elysian House. Nova is ahead of everyone, gesturing to paintings, explaining their backgrounds and showing us the study halls and classrooms. It was all very beautiful. Everything reminded me of a gothic medieval age. Maybe it was the lack of lighting, or maybe it was because of the knight armor lined up along the hallways. For whatever reason, it all just felt kind of medieval.

We walked into a room that looked very... well, defined. There was an altar at the end of the long isle. On either side, I could see people sitting in the stands, heads lowered, hands pressed together. They were praying. The altar seemed to be a stone carving of an owl. A large owl, with its wings unfurled, standing upright, looking upwards into the sky. The painting behind it was of the very same woman I saw near the staircase.

The woman with the strong beauty, standing dramatically in the moonlight, looking upwards into the sky, hand reaching upwards to the stars, as if she were trying to call out for someone.

"This is the Temple of Rowan," Nova spoke up, near the altar. The praying people had begun to look up, giving us dirty looks. "This is our shrine for Rowan. The savior of humanity and Vampire-kind."
There was this music. A humming. People were singing, as if they were apart of a choir, at a very low volume. It was just barely there and could only be heard if it was absolutely silent. But there no doubt it was there. I looked around for any singing people, maybe someone praying. But nobody was moving. Nobody was singing.

"Rowan was a Vampire of the purest of blood," Nova continued, motioning toward the painting of the woman behind the owl statue. "Rowan had such strong and pure blood that even humans lusted after it. Rowan saved humans and Vampires from demise when Elpis Zoe, current Queen of the Night, attempted to unleash her hideous power on the world. Humans would be cattle and Vampires would be hated."

Two girls ahead turn to each other and the blonde one says, "She looks like a total bimbo."

The other agrees with a nod. "Seriously."

For some reason, I feel offended by this. But I say nothing as I stand behind them and listen to Nova's explanation

"To save humans from turning into blood packs and saving Vampire's from being hunted by humans, she rivaled Elpis Zoe and her millions of followers to battle." Nova continued on. I try not to listen to the two girls in front of me talking smack. "At dusk, Rowan defeated millions of Vampires and slayed Elpis Zoe, Tyrant of the Night. Humanity was saved as well as Vampires."

The sound of doors opening behind us makes us all turn our heads.

Walking in through the door is a group of white-haired teens. In contrast to everyone else, they walked in with brighter features. Grey eyes, white hair. They all walked with purpose. Their heads were down, eyes looking through their eye-lashes, as if they were looking at their lunch. They all wore black. But what really caught my eye was who was leading the crowd.
Olivia Chase.