V⇌ 102

her

"Where do you want to go?" I asked, sheepishly. This was my first real date. Of course, I had gone on my fair share of cinema visits or walks around the park as a teenager, but this was different. 

My mother always brought up the fact that I did, indeed, need to settle down soon. I needed to start a life and get a job. But I was never one to put myself out. I didn't like meeting new people or going to parties or anything where I might have to be in some sort of social situation. 

"There's a nice bar a few blocks away." He looked down at me, for he was much taller than I was. "It's not anything crazy. Not many people will be there."

"Yeah, that sounds nice." I smiled, although I wasn't a drinker. 

****

"You..." George paused to take a sip from the glass he was holding, "are beautiful." His words were slurred and he walked as if he were treading in liquid. George was drunk. I went along with him at the beginning of the night, sharing a few drinks, but he had gotten lost somewhere near the third round.  I didn't know what to do: I couldn't leave him to go home by himself, assuming he could even remember. I couldn't absentmindedly stare at the walls all night as he downed more and more drinks. In a sense, I felt like I was taking care of a baby- I had to make sure he was safe and not doing something that would put him in the way of harm, I had to put his immediate needs above my own.  I was getting impatient now. I didn't want to look after a grown man all night, and I definitely did not want to be responsible for anything he did.

After watching George pour sugar packets onto the bar, I decided it was time for us to leave. "George." I put my hand on his shoulder and he tensed up. "It's time to go."

"One more." He slurred as he held up his index finger.

"No, it's time. I'll take you to your house."

"No, but," he stared up at me as I stood behind him, "I'm okay, I can go home by myself."  

I grabbed his arm and tugged on his shirt. He didn't seem to get the drift. "Let's go." 

George laughed. "I'm staying, you can go." His tone was icy yet somewhat childish. 

I didn't think twice. I left the bar without looking back to see if George was paying any sort of attention to me. The cold air hit my face as soon as I opened the door, and it burned. I didn't care, though. I walked fast, not stopping to check if any cars were coming or to see where I was.  I should've known that George was a complete and utter joke.