Green Eyes

Jack would come home late, if he came home at all. I watched the still forest outside my window silently, in the peculiar way I had of seeing without sight.

Jeff wondered over to me from the couch, bored out of his mind. ‘Come hunting with me.’

It was not the first proposal from him I’d heard today and like the other times, I shook my head and remained gazing out the window, searching the tree line for the memorised figure to appear. It was three AM. I miss him home.

‘C’mon Anna, he’s not coming home.’ Jeff hesitantly touched my shoulder and empathy came with visible effort. ‘Jack is… A troubled guy.’ He petted my hair. ‘He’s just going through a phase right now.’

After these empty hours with Jeff, I was comfortable showing him the mutilated mouth I hid when I spoke. When I had first showed him he had been mesmerised. Just like Jack had been. ‘He’s with a girl.’

Jeff laughed. ‘No, he’s not. He probably is just living normally for a bit.’ He hugged me awkwardly. ‘You’re just being girl crazy.’

I wasn’t quite sure how to react to Jeff’s arms around me and the disfigurement his face was pressed against my back. We were alike. I shook my head. ‘I went to find him. He’s with a girl. Frederique. The girl we were trying to kill when we found each other.’

Jeff spluttered. ‘He’s with a mortal girl?!’

I nodded. ‘He…’ I swallowed the blood in my mouth before it could damage my words further and found my shoulders heaving. Was I crying? It was such a human thing to do. ‘He looks so normal with her. His mask…’ I shook my head again. ‘He would never do that with me.’

Jeff began petting the tentacles springing from my spine tentatively again and reached up to touch my cheek with the very tips of his fingers, which was all he could reach. ‘Why? You’re a great girl…’ Jeff seemed so confused.

‘I…’ I shook my head. ‘Look at me! Look at what I am! Look at her! She’s pretty and normal and true and human.’ I spat the blood flooding though my mouth to the ground and dropped to the floor. I felt more teenaged than I had in a long time. Where was the anger now?  The anger that had burnt in my chest since the moment James turned me into this?

‘You’re beautiful.’ Jeff murmured, I was level with him now. Jeff shifted uncomfortably and began eating the scar tissue along his face and sighed. ‘You’re a friend to me.’ Jeff said after the only sound, the sound of digesting skin, became unbearable. ‘And I don’t have many of those… And from the moment you first walked in with Jack… You were beautiful.’

I stared at him and he grinned at me. I tentatively bared my teeth in a semblance of a smile.

‘I’m not in love with you. I love you like I loved my sister.’ Jeff smiled at me.

‘What happened to your sister?’

Jeff gave a maniacal grin. ‘I murdered her.’

I looked at him blankly. ‘Then how is being loved like you loved your sister a good thing?’

‘Well I can’t kill you…’ Jeff grinned. ‘I was only trying to play with her…’ His expression turned dark and he turned away from me. His shoulders quivered once and when he turned back his face was completely smooth. He’d been working on control since Jack left. ‘Jack will be back any day now. You can’t just turn from this life, from the pleasure of the kill.’

‘Jeff…’ I placed a clawed hand against the scarred smoothness of my face. ‘It’s been three years.’

†             †             †