31. Stop the World

Start from the beginning

"He is doing nothing with Caroline, Kasey, they are just working she never goes home with him and vice versa. Listen, they are doing something extremely amazing with this research, okay? I'm not even supposed to know what it is...it's top secret. But I have my ways. I can't share it with you. I promise you, just wait till he's back."

"What if he never comes back? How long will this research even take?"

After a pause, he answered, "They are close to getting what they need. In at least another week, he should be home."

"Justin could be here by then!"

"I've been watching him too. He's not even halfway done with what he needs to accomplish in New York. Kasey, stop stressing, let me do that," Mr. Cobalt said, his voice soothing and pleasant.

I swallowed. "I don't want to cut it too close," I whispered.

"I know. Look, I know you just want to hop on a plane and do what your heart desires... but no one is supposed to know where he is and what he's doing. If you show up..."

"He'll think I stalked him or something," I mumbled. Great. What's the point in having a fishy man at your disposal if you can't even use the information when you want to use it?

"Exactly and you'll have a bigger problem on your hands. So, I'll tell you when he's in West Virginia, then I'll tell you when he's home. This will all work out. I promise."

He sounds so sure, but as my heart races I can't help but to think that nothing is a sure thing. Nothing.

At noon, I allowed my assistant to place a coffee on my desk as I talked into my earpiece to Kenny who is exceeding at Realman and Stevens.

"How is the log coming?" Kenny asked.

With a sigh, I changed the temperature of the grill for the chicken on my log. Technicalities really bore me. "Uh...it's coming."

With a chuckle, Kenny said, "Kasey, you know I've only been at Realman and Stevens a week...right?"

"Uh huh." More citrusy food choices, everyone likes citrusy things. No the hell they do not what is wrong with me!

"Since I've been there I've made quite a few friends already."

"Mhm."

"Friends that love the idea of an alliance with the incredible Kasey Lewis as the manager of the company. Rumor has it that the director of Hilson and Marque is going to retire...and guess who is up for the job?"

My blood went cold. "How...No way! That's not true I haven't heard that!"

"Because you've been busy doing what you do best. They want you to continue doing that as the director. I'm sure you'll hear about it soon. So, back to me having friends... I have two nutritional advisors at your disposal. They should be at the receptionist's desk checking in right now. Basically, they'll look at what you have and they've already studied what you've done in the past and help you finish this log by tonight. Will that help you?"

My eyes watered. "God, Kenny, I don't deserve you."

"Yeah you do! You got me this amazing job and you gave me Jace. I think she's something special," he breathed, voice dreamy and husky.

I wrinkled my nose. "I take it the date went great?"

"Oh, yeah I didn't expect anything less."

"Did you chase her around her apartment?" I teased.

Laughing, Kenny said, "No! I didn't come inside. She's lovely, thanks for introducing me."

"Sure. But be careful with her."