Why can't I change? -4

Chapter  4

“I don't need to try to control you. Look into my eyes and I'll own you, with the moves like Jagger…” I woke up to the sound of this blaring out of my radio. I liked this song but this wasn’t really a song I’d like to wake up to. It was too lively for my liking, especially since I felt so groggy this morning. I got up and walked lazily to my desk where my radio was and turned it off. I yawned as I walked to my calendar to cross off another day then left my room to go to the bathroom.

I wore my uniform and brushed my hair as I looked into the mirror. My fringe had really grown out to put it back with the rest of my hair in a ponytail. As I got ready for school, the smell of homemade pancakes filled my nose. As much as I didn’t want sit and eat breakfast with Miranda, it smelt too good to avoid.

“Good morning” she said as she smiled at me, hoping that I’d probably change towards her. But I couldn’t become close to her, it just wasn’t worth it. She was like all of the foster carers I’d had. What was the point of getting close to someone if I knew we’d end up not seeing each other again? I smiled a forced smile in reply to her.

The pancakes tasted great, I felt bad for not saying anything to her and I said “Thank you” and gave her a polite smile.

I left the house closing the door behind me. Hmm another day of school. I thought as I walked to the bus stop. It started to rain, so I walked quickly putting my hood up over my head trying to reach the bus stop in good time. British weather, so unpredictable.

As soon as I reached the bus stop my bus happened to be right there. I got on the bus and went upstairs to the top deck. I glanced over the seats automatically as I did this whenever I got on a bus and saw Ayesha sitting near the middle. I could tell she’d been trying to hide her face by looking outside of the window. I felt quite bad; I didn’t want people being scared of me.

I took a seat closer to the back and sat down and decided to text Carina. “Ayeshas on my bus nd she looks rly scared.. I feel bad nw.”

Almost instantly she replied back. “Dnt b silly, the cow got evryfin she deservd yday. Xx”

“Mm, I guess.. so did u go c Joel yesterday?” Inside I was hoping she would say no because the guy doesn’t deserve her. He was a prick.

“Nah, no way… after wot he sed? nah, he needs 2 kno that Im not that kinda girl.”

“Mm yeah I agree. Ill tlk 2 u later in school xx”

-

I finally got to school, and Carina and Reece were already sitting at a bench. I smiled and sat next to them. The bell rang before we had a chance of starting a conversation. If we didn’t leave now, we’d be late for registration.

We sat down near the back on the second to last row of seats, I sat at the end, Carina next to me and Reece sat next to her.  Everyone was talking and our late form teacher Mr O’Connelly walked in.

“Alright guys! Pipe down. Sorry for being late, uh... my car broke down” Mr O’Connelly said as he used his most famous excuse. I was seriously surprised that he hadn’t been fired yet, but I guess the fact he was a good teacher was what kept him here. As well as my form tutor, he was my RE (Religious Education) teacher. “Time for the register…”

Five minutes later, the bells rang signifying that registration was over and that it was time for us to go to our first period lesson. I had RE so I sat back in my seat while others had to rush to their lessons and luckily I had RE with Carina and Reece. The class filled up with my RE class mates soon after.