Chapter 12 - Romeo and Juliet Muslim-Style and Spontaneous Waves of Jealousy

Start from the beginning

            While I’m trying to see what girls see in Mr. Kennedy, he calls on me, which I completely miss. “Huh?” I say lamely.

            Mr. Kennedy sighs good-naturedly. “I see that my lectures are quite sufficient in keeping you awake. I just asked you to come up here and read Juliet’s part in this particular passage.”

            “Oh.” I say lamely. I get up, and my chair squeaks loudly against the linoleum floor, causing even the kids who are asleep in the back of the classroom to wake up. I can slowly feel my cheeks starting to heat up. I take the open book that Mr. Kennedy hands me.

            “Ok, I need someone to play Romeo. Any volunteers?” Mr. Kennedy asks. The class is silent. Mr. Kennedy sighs. “Come on, people! I need you guys to participate more. Alejandro, lose the headphones.” He commands, directing his gaze towards a boy with headphones in his ears.

            A dark-haired boy with a light tan obediently unplugs his headphones from his ears and puts them in his pocket. “Thanks. Now get up here. You’re going to be Romeo.” Mr. Kennedy commands. Without a word, Alex, the name Alejandro goes by, gets up and stands beside me. Mr. Kennedy hands him a book as well.

            I can hear slight protests from the rest of the class. Girls are staring at the boy he will read the part of Romeo to my Juliet. Liana is looking at me with a scowl on her face. “God, I can’t believe Maysa got chosen to be Juliet. It’s as if she’s Mr. Kennedy’s favorite. I’m been here raising my hand to read for Juliet.” She complains to Brittany. Brittany nods in agreement and turns her gaze to me, a slight glare on her face.

            I turn my attention down to the passage I’m about to read. I gulp. If these girls are mad that they won’t be reading with Alex, they’re going to be even madder about the particular passage that I’m about to read. I sigh and shake my head. Who cares what others think? It’s just a play and it’s not even like I chose Alejandro – Alex – to play Romeo to my Juliet.

            Alex and I position ourselves so that we’re facing each other with some distance between us, but both of us are looking down and concentrating on the lines we’re about to say. Mr. Kennedy signals for us to begin, and Alex’s powerful voice fills the room, surprising me and the rest of the class as well I presume.

She speaks:

O, speak again, bright angel! For thou art

As glorious to this night, being o’er my head

As a winged messenger of heaven

Unto the white-upturned wondering eyes

Of mortals that fall back to gaze on him

When he bestrides the lazy-pacing clouds

And sails upon the bosom of the air

            My mouth nearly drops in shock and I work hard to keep it in place. Who knew that Alex was so good at reading Shakespeare? As he says the last line, he looks up at me and I take that as my cue to begin reading my favorite lines from the whole play. I can’t fight my smile as the rich poetry flows off my tongue like the honey rivers promised in Jannah.

Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name;