First Day

Today, I start school.
Before I continue, maybe we should get to know each other a little better.

Hi, my name's Aphmau. I'm 14 years old - almost 15. I'll be starting my first day at a real high school, since I had to move to Japan for 9 years for family matters.

Honestly, while I was in Japan, I
didn't really have any friends because I never really showed my face. It was a boarding school, since my mother died around the time I left, and my father needed to work without being interrupted.

At the school, I didn't talk to anyone, since no one seemed to think I stood out. There were over 10,000 students in my school, and I guess I just got lost in the sea of kids.

About 4 months ago, I received a letter stating my father had fallen ill. While I was transferring out of the school to come back to Pheonix Drop, he grew more and more weak and died the morning of July 9th.

I decided to come and live alone in Pheonix Drop, even though it was illegal, and go to school instead of continuing in Japan. I moved into a 2-story house, which used to belong to my father, about a month ago.

Am I nervous to go to a real school? Not really. I don't expect to stand out very much, but I might be able to pick up a couple friends.

I slowly sit up on my bed and drearily stand up. I walk over to the bathroom sink, brush my teeth, brush my long, black hair and pull it into a high ponytail, and put on some mascara and eyeliner.

Back in Japan, you were frowned upon at school if you wore makeup, so I'm kind of excited.

I pull on the uniform; a plaid black and white skirt with a white long-sleeved, cashmere shirt and a sky-blue bow tie with saddle-oxfords.

I race into the kitchen and grab my purple backpack, and run out of the door.

As I walk outside, I notice 4 boys, with backpacks on, wearing the male version of my uniform. I can't really see their faces clearly, but I do notice their hair colors. Black, brown, light brown, and blonde.

Unusual, I think to myself. I shake it off and quicken my pace towards the school.

I, sadly, can't drive yet, so I picked a school closest to my current house.

~Time Skip~

I, finally, arrive at the school. As I make my way over to the corridor where we're all supposed to wait to sit and listen for the assessment, I notice many people looking at me.

Oh no... Is the makeup too much!? Are they shaming me..? I panic and think to myself. I decide to brush my nervous feelings off and stand there quietly.

As I'm standing there, minding my own business, I feel someone bump into me and I loose balance.

I grab support from the wall, and I look over to see the culprit. As I turn around, I'm face-to-face with a blonde boy with beautiful blue eyes.

Even though he's gorgeous, he still knocked me over, so I completely block out his appearance.

"S-sorry..." He says as his pale rises a form of pink across his cheeks.

~Garroth's POV~

"S-sorry..." I say at a loss for words as a girl turns around.

She looks me dead in the eye, but I can't help but noticing her long, flawless black hair and her shimmering hazel eyes.

Her feature is perfect, but she looks pretty scary right now. I feel my cheeks heat up as I start to fluster, and I expect her to say something.

"My n-name's Garr-" I start to say shakily as my friend, Laurence, interrupts me.

"Well, hello there," He says, winking at the unnamed girl, "I'm Laurence and this is Garroth." 

"Oh," I hear her mumble, "I'm Aphmau."

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl." Laurence says slyly. I think we both expected her to turn completely red from blushing, but she just stands there looking at us. Finally, she speaks.

"Thanks, casanova." She says in a completely normal tone and flashes a slight smile. She turns around and walks into the gym for the assessment. 

Laurence and I look at each other. We shrug and walk in, following the large crowd of people. We both sit down next to each other, but Aphmau isn't in sight. The lights dim down and the principle talks about the rules and such.

~Aphmau's POV~

I sit down on a chair in the middle row. As I do, a girl with light blue hair sits down to the right of me. She seems a little angry, so I decide to speak up.

"Uh," I say, trying to speak loud enough for her to hear me, "W-what's wrong?" 

She turns, looks at me, and opens her mouth to say something, but it interrupted by a red-haired girl who sits down on the left of me.

"Katelyn," The red-haired girl says, looking over me to talk to the blue-haired girl.

"Nicole," Katelyn shoots back at the red-haired girl. 

I fold my hands and sit there very awkwardly. I can feel their angry stares between each other. Right before I felt the tension about to rise, the principle starts talking. 

~Time Skip~

Once the assessment's over, I stand up and walk out quickly. I pull out my paper with my classes, and, just for today, it says 'report to the 2nd gym.' I start wandering around, trying to find the other gym. After a while, I realize I'm lost. I continue trying to find the place I need to go, but I, pretty much, give up. I sit down on a nearby bench and wait there for Irene knows what.

"You lost?" I hear a voice behind me. I turn my head quickly to see a guy with blue hair standing there. 

"Yeah," I say and smile politely at. He laughs a slight bit and walks over. The blue-haired boy sits down next to me and leans over to look at my sheet. I feel a tiny bit of pink rise to my cheeks from the closeness, but I dismiss the feeling.

"I have to go to the '2nd gym,'" I tell him, not turning my head to make eye contact. He slowly backs away and stands up. He offers me a hand to stand up and I take it. 

"Follow me," He says in a kind voice. I follow him, but after 2 minutes the silence is getting a little too awkward.

"I'm Aphmau, by the way," I say, looking into his deep-blue eyes, "Thanks for helping me." 

"No problem. I'm Dante." He returns the eye-contact and smiles. Finally, we arrive at the other gym. 

It's really big, actually. There are many, many, many booths set up around and kids walking around looking at them. Most of the booths are revolved around clubs or parent things. I walk over