|| d e a r j. pt. 3 ||

Dear J.

Today has been overwhelmingly painful. The four words I had hoped I would never have to hear, were told to me today...

"C, we've filed for divorce." My parents said in unison. The words came in a wave, crashing into me with such force the walls I had built up around me to protect me, almost came crashing down. I froze in place, my eyes wide with shock.

"Y-You what?" I stammered, my body shaking.  

"We've filed for divorce." My father finalized the realization in my mind. My parents, the people I loved were filing for divorce. Severing their marriage, their vows of eternal love, and their relationship with me. 

I stood up quickly, turning on my heels and speeding towards my bedroom. I could hear my parents calling after me, but I just couldn't face them. I flung myself down on my bed, groaning at the pain in my hip as it came into contact with my bed post. The pain in my hip not even nearing the pain in my heart. 

I'm thankful my suspension isn't over until tomorrow. I just can't handle Zachary today on top of the pain my parents are causing, knowing that I would break down if he so much as looked my way. 

I guess that I shouldn't have been surprised when Emma and Jack blew up my phone later that afternoon with their texts of worry. And they shouldn't have been surprised when I didn't reply. But somehow - they still were. 

They showed up on my doorstep, worried faces, and all. When Mom sent them up to my room I told them I was sick, I didn't want to spread whatever it was that I had, and that they would be better off leaving me alone. I shouldn't have been surprised when they barged into my small bedroom anyways, looking about ready to chew me out. 

"C, you're a terrible liar." Em states as she plops herself down on the bed beside me. I groaned and rolled to face the wall. 

"We've been trying to get a hold of you all day! What's up with you not responding?" Jack questions. 

I groan. "I'm not required by law to respond to your text messages." 

"Maybe not by state law, but by best friend code 223, section 7, paragraph 5, you're; 'required to respond to the distressed calls and worried text messages from those who surround you with their care.'" Em spouts. 

"You just totally made that up." I turn over so I can lightly smack her arm. 

"So what if I did? We've been worried about you Car! It's been a whole 27 hours with no contact." Em is practically on top of me as she scoots closer to my side of the tiny twin bed. 

"I agree with Em, C. You've been ignoring us for way to long. What's going on?" Jack walked across my room and sat on the small twin bed with Em and I. 

"You guys are seriously squishing me right now." I groan. 

"Caroline." Em's voice is firm, and I knew I should tell them what was going on. 

"I don't really wanna talk about it." I say, still facing the wall. 

"Talk about what?" Jack asks. 

"Okay first, that was a dumb question. I literally just said I don't want to talk about it." I groan. "And second, I don't know, maybe that my parents are splitting up, Zach Morgan is the biggest pain in the bum at school, I'm failing all my classes, and I feel like my life is spinning out of control." I blurted. I buried my face deeper into my pillow, realizing I had just told them pretty much everything. 

"Oh my goodness, Car! We had no idea, I'm so sorry." Em said, awkwardly placing her arms around me in a makeshift hug. 

"I'm sorry, C." Jack said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I had no idea." 

I didn't want to tell them, J. I really didn't, but somehow it all just kind of... slipped out. I know I can trust them though, they won't go anywhere with the information I told them, and for that I was thankful. 

Well it's getting late, and I have to return to school tomorrow. (Help me!) 

xx,

c.