Chapter Seven

A month passed, and everything seemed settled for Ashley. Everything seemed stable. Then one afternoon Rose rang and said, “I’m at the central police station. Get down here now.”

“Horny or something?”

“No you fucking idiot. Rebecca’s just been arrested and it’s bad. DUI, but she’s hit another car and injured someone.”

“Oh shit.”

“I’m doing what I can, but get here.”

“Okay.”

Ashley phoned David and said, “Rose just told me Rebecca’s been arrested. I’m going to see what’s going on.”

“I’ll come too.”

“Meet me downstairs.”

She waited in the lobby, hugged David when he got there, and went down to the basement carpark. He was with another partner, one of the criminal lawyers, and they were both on the phone, seemed to be talking to people, trying to find out the situation. Ashley drove. They both kept making phone calls, but no-one seemed to know what was happening. It was probably too soon, Ashley thought, if Rebecca had just been caught. She was probably still sitting somewhere waiting to be processed.

David seemed angry. Very controlled, but angry, like he was going to punch the dashboard or throw his phone out the window or something. Ashley had never seen him like this before.

“David,” she said. “Take it easy. Let Rose find out what’s happening.”

“She’s a cop, Ash. Don’t assume she’ll help.”

“She already is. And she’ll do what she can. And we’ll be better off with her trying than her pissed off, so just calm down.”

David nodded, and after that he didn’t really talk.

“I love you,” Ashley said after a while, even though there was another partner in the back. “We’ll get through this.”

David looked at her. “I you.”

Ashley parked, and texted Rose to say she was there, and went inside. A few people were waiting around in the lobby, none looking too dangerous or distraught. Gun licenses and property theft reports, Ashley assumed.

“Wait,” she said to David, as he started towards the counter. “Rose’s on her way.”

Rose came out a few minutes later, saw them, and came over. “She’s been arrested. That’s all I know. I’m trying to get you in to see her but it’s going to be a while.”

“I’m her…” David said, and Ashley grabbed his arm.

“It takes time,” Rose said. “They’re still processing her. And I’m only a constable, I can’t do magic.”

“We’ll wait,” Ashley said, and looked at David. “Go sit down.”

David did.

“Thank you,” Ashley said to Rose. “He’s just worried.”

“I know.”

Ashley tried to take her hand.

“Don’t,” Rose said, and took it away.

“Sorry,” Ashley said.

Rose stood there. After a moment, she said, “I should get back.”

Ashley nodded. “Thank you,” she said. “For this.”

“I’m angry with you,” Rose said. “I’m really fucking angry I’m in this position. That I have to help his daughter.”

“You don’t have to.”