06; Hunter Training

Start from the beginning

"At ease, soldier," Chris joked, his voice lacking a tone of humor. "Are you ready for today?" 

"You mean, am I ready to fake kidnap Allison?" Miles picked up his phone and wallet off of his night stand and slid them into one of his pockets. Then, he picked up a pocket knife and slid it into the other pocket. 

There was something about the way Miles had spoken that set off a paternal alarm in Chris' head. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but something had seemed off about his nephew recently, but Miles never seemed to trust him enough to tell him. "Miles," Chris said slowly. "Are you sure you're up for today?" 

"Yeah, if it means I get to put off my stupid world history paper." It wasn't quite the answer Chris had wanted, but it was truthful nonetheless. 

"School got you stressed?" 

"It's school." Miles shrugged, the shortness in his voice telling Chris that he was done with the conversation. He went to his closet, hastily pulling out a worn aviator jacket before exiting the bedroom, leaving no one for Chris to frown out now except for his own reflection in the mirror. 

The walls of the burnt house creaked uncomfortably as Miles leaned against them. He didn't enjoy spending the evening in the house his classmates had spread rumors about, all of which involved his apparently murderous aunt. Having nothing better to do, his mind replayed everything he'd heard and read. Innocent lives, taken by Kate Argent. And he was standing in the very place it had happened. Normally, he wouldn't let things like that get to him, but now that he was at the Hale house that was just about all he could think about. 

There was only one other thing that Miles Argent's brain could process for the time being, and that was the arrowhead in his back pocket. He'd brought it along with him, telling Chris he had gotten what Allison had needed for her training but not telling his uncle where he'd gotten it from. He thought he was doing the right thing not turning in Allison just yet, but Miles was just going to have to wait and see if he really was. 

"Allison," hissed the faked voice over of Derek Hale. "Do you ever wonder what happens if you get bitten? What your father would do? What he'd have to do?" 

Miles knew that in the next room his cousin had to be freaking out. He remembered when he'd done this Argent ritual, baptizing you so you can officially start your path as a hunter of the supernatural. 

By now, Allison must've noticed the restraints tying her to her chair, and she was probably doing everything in her power to squirm out of them, which would never work. But she hadn't realized that yet, she was too busy worrying that she'd been taken by a vengeful werewolf, and that her dad was there with her, his life just as equally in danger. Or so she thought. 

Miles heard a loud crack, a sound he knew to be wood splitting. He'd done this enough times to know that was his cue. Pushing himself off the wall, Miles entered the equally charred room on the other side.