Ch. 3 - The Kill Play

Here's our precious lil' Shane. Hnng. 

Song at the top is the one that Blair recites to herself later in the chapter, it's actually one of the methods I use when I'm having a panic attack. It's pretty effective :) I'm posting the Daniel Radcliffe version though because Daniel Radcliffe. 

Isolation Play

3 | The Kill Play

The rest of the tryout week flew by, each one revealing new aspects of the team dynamic, expectations of being a reliable teammate and a volley of new terms. My respect for Emma grew as I watched her fulfill her captain-ly duties. It didn't hurt that she went out of her way to greet me in the halls now, either.

In fact, that little effort which she put forth to invest in my life did wonders. Even if I didn't make the team, she was clearly the kind of person who would continue to acknowledge me. We seemed to be progressing into actual friends – though, I'll be honest, I had not a sweet clue how to hold up my end of a friendship.

The best part was that Emma didn't seem to mind. My palpable awkwardness and overall quietness did essentially nothing to bother her, and she was more than able to fill in my half of the conversation. I don't know how, but she did it in such a way that it wasn't condescending, or even overbearing, just simply helpful and kind, like she knew that when I was ready I would spread my frail wings. Until then, I was content to follow her lead and learn from her.

The nerves rolled like crashing waves in my stomach as I parked my car in the school lot. It was Monday morning, and the list of who made the team was getting posted at lunch today.

Getting out of my old Toyota, I swung my bag on my shoulders and wiped my sweaty hands on my jean cut-offs, the warm September air doing absolutely nothing to help. Not for the first time I wondered if attempting to join the team was such a good idea – I was starting my third week of senior year and already I was failing Math, with Physics not too far behind. The only subject I had a stable grasp on was English. I really should be focusing more on my school work, but I couldn't deny the subtle change in my dreary and depressed outlook just from the few accumulated hours of tryouts in the last week. I now felt proud of myself, the sense of accomplishment foreign, but welcome.