Chapter 1

Vince had left me. Everything had seemed fine at the time. We had just bought a house and car, were focusing on the wedding, and had just booked a trip to Whistler for my twenty-second birthday.

Yet, apparently things weren't fine. I got home from work to find a note on the kitchen counter telling me he was leaving. He claimed things weren't working out and he needed to leave this town.  He need to start fresh.  

My life was crumbling. What did I have to keep me afloat? I was nothing without him. We'd been inseparable since seventh grade, nearly ten years. My life was going to be empty without him.  I'd never been alone before, and thought of it felt like a dark cloud suffocating me.  The first few hours were spent clutching my chest trying desperately to suck in as much air as I could get.  Yet, it wasn't enough.  My heart ached for him.

I'm not sure how I found my way outside, but here I was, laying in the cool wet grass.  My eyes were closed as I felt each drop of rain pelt my smooth skin. This wasn't like the other times Vince had threatened to leave.  This time, I knew, he was gone and not coming back. I closed my eyes, trying to force the heartbreak from my body, but it had already taken hold. He was gone and I was broken.

"Jessica! Get up, you're soaked!"

I sat up and stared in the direction of the only person, besides Vince, who could make this all better. Cory stood at the gate to my tiny yard, a worried expression on his face. It had been months since I saw him last, the day he moved 12 hours away to go back to school. I had missed him every single day, and was immensely proud of his accomplishments. He was Vince's and my best friend.

He knelt down beside me in the wet grass, pushing the hair that had fallen over my face behind my ear.  "Jessica, get up."

"What's the point?" I mumbled.

I felt his glare before I even saw it.  His eyes pierced my already broken heart, chilling me to my core.  He shook his head at me, jumping to his feet.  He turned and briskly walked back towards the gate.  I quickly jumped to my feet, running after him.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

"Home," he answered.

I grabbed his hand and spun him around, forcing him to look at me. He ran his hands through his sandy blond hair in frustration.

"But you only just got here," I responded, terrified he too planned on leaving me.

I was sure I was a wreck. This was more than likely the lowest he had ever seen me in the eight years we'd known each other.

"You don't fucking get it, Jessica! I drove halfway across the province to make sure you're ok, and there's no point for you to get up off the grass?"

Lightning lit up the sky, followed shortly by a crack of thunder. The rain was coming down heavier now. I smiled, realizing mother nature was emoting my feelings. Cory was right, though. I was being ridiculous.

"I'm sorry. I'm a dick," I said, smirking.

He flashed me one of his heartwarming smiles. "You're not a dick, but you do need to remember something."

I raised my eyebrows, waiting for his inspirational bullshit that he was incredibly good at dishing out. He paused for dramatic effect.

"You need to learn how to be ok with yourself while you're alone."

I let that sink in to its fullest. He was right. Vince's betrayal was one thing. I could get over it rather quick if I really wanted to; however, what was holding me back was the idea of being alone. I didn't need another person to keep me afloat, I could do this all on my own.

He opened the door to my tiny home, and I followed him inside. Disappearing into the bathroom, he returned with two fluffy towels, throwing one of them to me to dry off. I shook my head at my antics. I had gone full emo a moment ago, and it was embarrassing. Lying out in the rain... what was I thinking? How was that going to help my situation?

Cory was rubbing his head dry, and I couldn't help the smile spreading across my face. When had Cory not been there for me? I used to curse our bad luck at meeting at just the wrong time. He had been dating Jason back then, but quickly moved on to Amanda. I had the odd boyfriend right up until I met Vince. There was never a good time for Cory and me to be together, and even when there was we had become too close as friends to make a real go at being in a romantic relationship.

I stood, watching him basking in the realness of our friendship. He had just driven twelve hours to be here for me during my difficult time.

"So, Josh told me, Vince broke up with you in a note."

I could tell Cory was trying to tread lightly, not that I blamed him. I was an obvious mess. My future was unclear, and I hated uncertainty.

"He did," I answered.

Cory rubbed his forehead in disgust. "That fucker!"

A snicker escaped my mouth, and Cory raised his eyebrows. It felt great to laugh, even for a moment.

"He is a fucker, isn't he?"

I slumped down on the couch, leaning back and closing my eyes. Why couldn't this be one big dream?

Cory sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me close. I rested my head on his shoulder, heaving a big sigh. 

"I've always thought he was a fucker," Cory mumbled, giving my head a quick kiss.

"Can you believe it, though? We just bought this fucking house! We were planning a wedding!" I shrieked.

"I don't want to be that guy, but who gets the house?" Cory asked, squeezing my shoulder.

I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to even think of it. Who gets the fucking house? Will he be in contact with me at some point? Can I win him back? Why the hell do I even want to win him back? He's the fucking dick who left me.

"I don't want to think about it right now," I confessed. "I have to let everyone know the weddings off now. I had just booked the hotel for my birthday trip to Whistler. There's no way I'm getting the deposit back for that."

Tear stung my eyes, and I quickly wiped them away with the back of my hand. I was really looking forward to this trip.

Cory turned to face me.  "Why are you calling it off?"

I hadn't actually thought on it.  It just always seemed like I was to go with Vince.  As well, how could I go on a vacation alone?  That wasn't like me, whatsoever.  There's no way I could go on this trip by myself.  Yet, it would be an incredible way to get over him.  I could go out, meet new people, perhaps have a few one night stands.  The best way to get over a guy is to get under one.  This would be the perfect way to get over Vince.

"You're right, I should still go."

"OK, let's get your mind off of this bullshit," Cory said, standing up and holding his hand out to me.  My hand trembled as I took his, as it always did.  I couldn't help the electricity I felt anytime Cory touched me.  I had learned to ignore it, but sometimes it was too intense.

"What do you have in mind?" I asked, trying to push those feelings down.

"We are going to binge watch something on Netflix in your great big comfy bed. You never know, maybe we'll snuggle."

I laughed and he winked before dragging me off to my room.