Chapter 8

--------------------------------------------One week later--------------------------------------------

                “Rain!  We have to leave!  Are you almost ready?”  Tom’s anxious voice echoes up the stairs.

                “Be right there!”  I call back, quickly putting my pearl earrings on.  I nervously adjust my black dress, glance at my reflection, slip on my black heels, and make my way down the grand staircase.  Tom isn’t at the bottom.  A part of me is sad that I didn’t get my fairytale scene where the princess walks down the staircase and it’s love at first sight for both her and the prince.  I got stuck with the love at first sight part, but the prince didn’t feel the same way.  I push my silly thoughts out of my head.  “Tom?  Where are you?  I’m ready to go.”

                He walks out of the kitchen, dressed in a brown tuxedo.  He has a cookie in his hand.  I brush some crumbs off his jacket.  “Let’s go!”  I say, excitement flooding my tone.

                He smiles, and we walk out, ducking into the limo he rented.  He chatters happily about how excited he is to see Dan’s new movie, his first one after Harry Potter, The Woman In Black.  Inwardly I hope it isn’t too scary.  I have always been the worst with scary movies.

                We arrive at the premiere.  “Ready?  Smile on, hold my hand, pretend you are in love with me.”  Tom reminds me.  I don’t have to pretend.  I think sadly.

                We step out of the limousine, my hand safe in his.  He smiles and waves to the crowd.  They go wild.  I smile shyly as we walk down the red carpet. 

                Tom gives a quick interview, and introduces me to the newswoman.  “This is my girlfriend, Rain.  You’re the first one to know.”  He whispers to the newscaster, who turns to her camera man and says quietly, “Play that now.  We have to be the first ones to broadcast it.”

                Tom introduces me to Daniel Radcliffe.  He has got to be 5’4” or something.  He is so short.  As we walk away from Dan, Tom whispers in my ear, “He stopped growing at age 14.”  I giggle, noticing a news-camera watching us.  It’s all a show.  I remind myself.  I’m living a lie.

                We finally get into the theatre and the intro music starts playing.  Within the first five minutes, my face is already buried in Tom’s shoulder.  He laughs under his breath.

                The movie is finally over, and I’m glad.  We retreat into the limo, and drive straight home.  Tom is tired, I can tell, so when he excuses himself to go to bed, I nod, and follow him up the stairs.  “You did really well today, Rain.”  He says sleepily as we part ways at the top of the stairs.

                “Thanks.”  I say, smiling at him.  He yawns.  “Goodnight Tom.”

                “Goodnight.”