one | Just a Plane Away

On June 14th through the 21st, please come back to this chapter and vote on it if you want it to be in the top twenty five of the short story contest. Any votes before then will not count on this chapter, so please mark your calendar and come back. It would mean the world! Now sit back and relax while you start the beginning of the story, I hope you love it!

- B. Lenning x

Once Upon A Now there was a modern country that had a tradition, a tradition that would lead a princess and a prince together. The Princess Project was a ritual that my country had been doing for decades. The government of Amaren would choose one descendant of the five royal lineages and make her the project of the country. The Princess would be expected to marry the chosen prince of the country. Of course this sounds like either the best contest you have heard of, or the worst. I personally agree with the civilians who despise it.

I did not choose to be of royal descent, it's just my luck I guess. There are several reasons why I hate it so much. Everybody at the Amaren's prestigious high school worshiped you, I'm a normal human too you know! You're parents were practically the snobbiest people on the planet, rolling around in their inherited money. Lastly, you will never marry for love. Not if you were a princess in The Princess Project. 

Today was the day I was sent by private plane, along with my distant four annoying cousins to compete for a Prince I don't even want. I'll happily let any one of them win Prince Weston's heart. Who else would be perfect for a spoiled royal prince than other spoiled princess'?

I woke up to the sound of my lady's maid rummaging through my wardrobe. She was an odd woman to say the least. Her name was Laine and she always had a crease in between her pale red eyebrows. Laine always treated me as if I were a ticking time bomb, saying that 'Royal teens nowadays are insane!' and things like that. I don't think I'm insane, not compared to my four cousins.

"Oh thank goodness, you've woken up! I've packed your luggage already. Now  If I can find that darn red dress." She mumbled the last part continuing to search.

I sat up devouring the warmth of my plush duvet covers. "No need to do that Laine, I can fend for myself. Oh and the red dress? I donated it to the thrift store." I shrugged, slipping on my slippers I ushered her to get out of my room.

"You did what?" Laine I believe just had a mini heart attack. "Your mother will kill me." I saw a slither of sweat float down her freckled cheek.

"It's fine it was too formal for me anyways. I prefer my hoodies you know that." I chuckled grabbing my phone off the charger.

"As you wish, your highness. Just know that my head is on your hands." She frantically left my room. Finally.

I walked down the grand staircase, with both my suitcases in hand. Of course at the bottom of the staircase stood both my parents. They looked so proud of me, I was embarrassed. I wish they were proud of how strong I was as my own person and not that I might be marrying Prince Weston of Amaren.

"Oh, Olivia dear you look stunning!" My mother engulfed me with a tight hug. "You packed the red dress, right?" She asked pulling away.

"Wouldn't dream of leaving it." I said in a fake tone.

"Who would?" My mother laughed.

I turned to my father who was looking at me with pride. I went up to hug him.

"I'll miss you father." I said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"And I you, my dear." He said smiling back.

"Well I better get going, you know I have to win Prince Weston's heart and all." I said rolling my eyes at the last part.

"And you will! We love you very much, have a safe flight." I said my last goodbyes.

I don't understand how my parents are oblivious to my resentment to the throne. They see me rolling my eyes and hear my sarcastic remarks, do they not? One of my best friends from school is convinced that this is a real life fairy tale, and that I'll fall madly in love. Bless her soul because she is deeply wrong.

Arriving on the tarmac I see the eager cousins of mine. Isabella is checking her red lipstick, Elizabeth has her nose stuck in a novel, Denise is bugging Isabella, and lastly my favorite Danielle is standing there mocking everybody, looking down like she owned the place. She might own this airport, but I own the jet. I was ready to be stuck on a plane with these four for five hours. This will be a fun hopefully turbulent ride... of course no pun intended.