Chapter 1: Meeting Mr. Bad Boy

**Edited** 

"Dad, stop!" I scream, as he repeatedly hits me, leaving me black and blue.

My father abuses me when he's drunk. Let's just say he came home late tonight from the bar and took his anger out on me. It was nothing new really, I was used to it at this point.

"You worthless piece of shit, get out of my house!" he yells.

I scurry out of the house and the front door slams as soon as I'm out of the house. I look back and hear a bottle break. I start walking down the streets of Brooklyn, New York. It's mid-September and pretty cold out.

I know these streets like the back of my hand. I've lived here for five years now. I moved from Omaha, Nebraska when I was twelve years old. The same year I came home to find my mother murdered in the living room. The same year my sister, who was four years older than me, had run off and for all I know could very well be dead as well.

My father wanted to move away from the area and decided that we go to Brooklyn, a completely different area, in a different state. A whole new start.

Unfortunately, my father turned in to a drug addict and an alcoholic when I turned thirteen. I've been dealing with his abuse for four years now. Who knows what other kind of trouble he's in at this point?

I walk down an abandoned train rail. The walls underneath the bridges covered in graffiti, gangs hiding around as well as some of the rebels and druggies kids from my school. It was typical to see a few different groups of people up to no good when you came down here.

I continue down the railways until I hear gunshots ring throughout the area. Looking behind me, I see two different groups of people; drug dealers and one of the gangs that hang around in this area. Before they see me I hurry over to the side of the bridge where they can't spot me.

I look over the edge and hear the two different groups yelling at each other. Someone shoots the gun again and I quickly jerk my head away from the edge. My breathing starts getting heavy. I can't get out of here without going past them. It's just walls of tall fences and a fast flowing river current on the other side.

I hear footsteps, I press my back up against the wall and slide down it slowly and pull my hood over my head. Good thing I was wearing a black hoodie. Feeling something hit my shoulder, I jump and look behind me and see Alec, the notorious bad guy at our school. He's been given a bad reputation at school, known for dealing drugs and getting into an endless amount of fights, yet he is definitely one of most attractive people in our school, girls flinging themselves at him left and right and constantly getting denied. When you see him in school, he never has a girl attached to his hip, he's always with his group of friends.

He puts his finger over his lip and grabs my hand. More shots ring through the area. Alec pulls me over to the wall and goes along it. I spot a hole a few yards away.

I hear yelling and more gunshots, making me flinch a few more times. I hated that sound, it made my skin crawl and shivers go down my spine. Alec starts running until he gets to the hole in the fence. He lifts it up slightly so I can crawl under the fence. Once he's on the other side of the fence he motions for me to follow him. I have a bad feeling about this but still, I follow him.

After walking down a couple of roads, we approach a steep hill leading down to the river. Alec starts walking down it. I cautiously walk down the hill. Alec sticks out his hand to help me and I gratefully take it as he helps me down the rest of the hill.

Once we're on the shore of the river we walk down a ways to a big rock. Alec climbs up the rock and I follow in suit. After a couple minutes of silence, Alec speaks up.