Chapter 18 - The Devil Comes Here and Sighs

Ever since Klaus and I discovered that Lucien had broken Aurora out of her prison, I have felt this uncontrollable anger consume me and despite my best efforts, that anger has ignited my cravings.

So while Klaus, Elijah and Freya try to find a way to stop Lucien, I was making my way towards Cami's apartment. I needed her to talk me down, if she could, before I lost control and killed someone. The NOLA Music Days festival was in full swing and I was almost at Cami's apartment when I bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry," he apologized.

I just stared at him, transfixed as his steady heartbeat filled my ears. The sound of his blood pumping made my throat burn and I found myself looking at his pulsing carotid artery. I realized what I was doing and shook my head to snap myself out of the daze. I quickly walked away and tried to escape, but my ears were suddenly filled with the sound of multiple hearts beating.

I stopped and looked around, feeling trapped as my cravings got worse. I started to breathe heavily as I looked at the crowd of people. No, I can't . . .

"Nina?"

I turned around and saw Klaus, looking pale and tired. He noticed my struggle and walked closer to me, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Come on," he murmured. "Let's get you out of here."

He led me to an alley and kept me out of sight from the humans, but taking me away from the crowd didn't stop my hybrid face from emerging. I panted as I tried to control the intense hunger consuming me, my fangs protruded and my brown eyes turned gold with darkening veins.

"Nina, look at me," he said as he cupped my face. "Look at me. Breathe."

I did as he said and closed my eyes, taking long, deep breaths. When I opened them again, my face was back to normal.

"Good girl," he smiled before lowering his hands.

"Klaus, what are you doing here?" I asked, walking a few steps away from him, further into the alley.

"I came to check on Camille and now I'm checking on you."

"I'm fine," I lied as my voice rose slightly in anger.

"No, you're not, little wolf."

I sighed and looked at him. "Don't worry about me, worry about yourself. I know how awful losing a brother is."

Klaus avoided my gaze, remembering Finn's death. "Yes, well, I'll find solace when Lucien is dead."

"And what about Aurora?" I asked, tersely.

Klaus looked at me, his smile fading at the change in subject.

"It's bad enough that Lucien's bite could kill you. By now, she could be just as powerful and if you still harbour feelings for her . . ." I trailed off, trying to control my anger.

"I don't care about Aurora," he cut me off as he walked closer to me and cupped my face again. "I care about you."

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply and I shook my head, making him lower his hands. "You promised me that she would suffer. I told you that I wanted her dead for what she did to Cami and what her brother did to Jackson. Your lunatic ex is the reason I'm like this and you let her live!"

With each word, my voice was rising as my anger slipped out of my control.

"In unending torment!" Klaus retorted. "She was suffering for what she stole from you and Camille!"