Chapter 17 - Behind the Black Horizon

We were still in the Appalachian Mountains and after learning that Lucien was up to something, I had called Hayley to come pick up Hope. I wanted her safe while Klaus and I dealt with our dilemma. We met up at Mad Crow Diner and she didn't come alone, Mary was with her.

I haven't seen my grandmother since Jackson's funeral, I was too afraid to, in case she blamed me for her grandson's death. Klaus went inside to give us some time alone. I shifted, uncomfortably as I held my daughter on my hip. Hayley and Mary got out of their car and approached me.

"Hey, thanks for coming," I said, avoiding eye contact with Mary.

"Of course," Hayley smiled. "Is everything okay? You sounded stressed on the phone."

I sighed. "Yeah, it's just -- I don't want to saddle you with more Mikaelson drama."

"Hey, that's what family's for," Mary said, making me glance at her.

I smiled, sheepishly as I nodded. "That's why I called. There's some things Klaus and I need to take care of and I don't want Hope anywhere near it."

Hayley nodded. "We understand."

I smiled in gratitude as I walked past them to settle Hope into the back seat. Once I had finished, my daughter looked up at me with those beautiful eyes.

"There you go, baby. Now, you're gonna go stay with Grandma Mary and Auntie Hayley for a little bit, but don't worry. Mommy and Daddy will see you soon, okay?"

Hope smiled at me and made a sound that told me she understood.

"Good girl," I smiled before leaning forward to kiss her head. "I love you."

I closed the door and turned back to Hayley and Mary.

"Hayley, you mind giving me a moment with my granddaughter?" Mary requested.

I froze as I looked between them, extremely worried.

Hayley nodded. "Sure."

She climbed into the front seat of the car and gave us some privacy. I looked at Mary, awkwardly, wondering what she wanted to say.

"I haven't seen you in months and you can't even bring yourself to give me a hug?"

She may have sounded harsh, but I knew she wasn't trying to be. I gave her a bashful smile before slowly wrapping my arms around her.

"I'm sorry," I said as she returned the embrace.

"Don't be," she said as we withdrew from the hug. "I know why you've been keeping your distance. It's because of Jackson."

I looked at her with wide eyes, tears threatening to spill out.

"You're not the only one who's hurting, Nina. We all are, we know your pain."

I shook my head as I looked down. "No, you don't."

"Yes, I do," she assured me. "The Sang de Cadeau ritual didn't just bind your blood to Jackson, but your soul too."

I looked up at her, astonished.

Mary looked me in the eyes as she grabbed my hands. "Nina, I'm an Elder. I know everything about that ritual, including the ramifications when the person you're bonded to dies. Now, I won't pretend I can imagine what you're going through, because I can't. But I will tell you this - Jackson's death was not your fault."

I was shocked into silence, I felt my eyes become glassier with each word she spoke.

"I don't blame you for his death," she continued. "You shouldn't blame yourself either, Jack wouldn't want you to and it shouldn't be your burden to bear. You've done right by Jackson, you avenged him and you freed us. It's time you found peace in that."