Chapter Two

"So," I shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. "How have you been?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm great. Little tired from the tour but I'm- erm, yeah, I'm good." Luke smiled and ran a hand through his hair. I remember when I did that. "And how are you?"

"Yeah, yeah, same. I'm great as well. You know- just living life, getting on with things. As you do." God dammit Mila, why are you so fucking awkward all the time. "So, uh, how long are you home for?"

"Just over the summer, a couple months and then we're back on the road again." He kind of gazed at me for a few seconds before continuing to speak again. "I can't believe this. You know you haven't changed a bit, in a good way of course." I blushed and look down at my feet.

"Well, your band has really taken off. You guys are mega successful now." I tried to shift the subject away from myself. "It's great your doing what you love."

"Yeah, I love it. And what do you do now? Are you working, or at university?" He asked me.

"I'm actually a therapist, I got my degree last year." For a therapist, and being fully qualified in the art of helping people, I really struggled to help myself, especially in situations like these. "I work in a practice in the city. I live in an apartment there too." Why was I telling him all this information?

"That's great, that's really great." He smiled genuinely and I returned the gesture. "Well I better go, but we should catch up some time. Whenever you're free." He grabbed something from the shelf in front of us, stretching around me so that his plaid shirt strained across his body and his muscles where visible. Shut the fuck up, Mila.

 "I'll see you around Mila."

"See you around, Luke." He wandered off and disappeared down the end of the aisle. Did that really just happen? Never in a million years did I expect to see him roaming our local supermarket? I suppose he actually did live here and had probably been in this store a thousand times but the sheer coincidence of it overwhelmed me. After standing in what appeared to be shock for a few moments, I gave myself a shake and remembered what I was actually here for. A carton of milk? Quickly grabbing something from the half empty shelf, I practically ran to the checkout and then once I'd paid, into my car. In some creepy, ironic twist; guess who's voice came blaring through my speakers as I drove home? Ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Lord, please don't test me now.

The drive home took me less time than usual because I'd missed all the late night traffic and soon enough I found myself in my apartment screaming a Gloria about my encounter.

"He just talked to me, casual as a murderer in a prison." I told her as I pulled off my shoes and threw them into the cupboard. "He was just normal. I was practically lying on the floor with awkwardness and weirded-out-ness and he was perfectly fine. Like nothing had ever happened."
"Maybe he's grown up a bit. Being away from everything, he could have a fresh start and make a new life." Gloria suggested as she crunched into a cereal bar. I swear this girl had some kind of cereal fetish because all she does is eat cereal related food.

"And then he was all 'we should catch up some time' and I was all smiles and giggles and he was all 'see you later Mila' and I was all 'see you later-"

"-Okay I get the picture." Gloria interrupted. "Maybe he's trying to make a new start, right the wrongs he did the first time he met you."

"I don't know G, I mean it was just weird. And I don't know- he was kinda hot." I giggled as I said this and Gloria threw her head back and laughed.

"Girl, you need this vacation."

"You're right. All this shit is going to my head. One more day and then we are free." I pulled myself up from the sofa and left to go get changed into something a bit more practical.