Twenty One | Edge

Start from the beginning

Lit up with the oh-so-familiar lights, the place felt alive. Over fifty people were dancing, singing, drinking, and laughing, which made Audrey smile.

She felt happy.

"Audrey?" Michael said, then immediately picked her up in an embrace, spinning her around a few times before setting her back down. "I'm so happy to see you!"

"I'm happy to see you too, Mikey," she smiled, then proceeded to ruffle his blue hair.

"Where's your blonde friend? I haven't seen him in forever either," Michael questioned, unaware of the situation.

"They're going through a thing," Rain stepped in. "But hey, where's the alcohol at?"

They all made their way to a cooler filled with beer and took one. Audrey finished hers much quicker than Rain and Michael, so before anyone knew it, she was on her forth beer.

"Mikey!" Audrey sang, wrapping her arm around Michael's neck. "Why is it that you don't hate me?"

"What do you mean? Why would I hate you?" Michael asked, confused.

"You have been so sweet to me for years. Even when I told you I didn't have feelings for you, you didn't hate me."

"You were honest with me and I respected how you felt. I'd rather be your friend than lose you completely," Michael told her.

Audrey chugged down another beer. "Why am I such a selfish bitch all the time?"

"You're not," he told her. "You're too hard on yourself."

"No, I fuck everything up and I have no regard for other people's emotions, just like Vera said."

"If that was true, then why do you feel so guilty about what you did to Luke?" Rain asked, suddenly.

Audrey pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and shrugged.

"Because knowing that you hurt the person you love is one of the worst feelings in the world," she said, then chugged down the rest of the beer.

She went to grab another but was interrupted by the prominent sound of police sirens in the distance.

"Shit!" Michael cursed. "Someone called the cops!"

As soon as he said those words, everyone was scrambling to the exit at once, practically knocking each other out to get out of the crawl space first.

"Oh my god, I think I'm gonna throw up," Audrey said, clutching her stomach.

"Shit! Michael, she looks like she's about to pass out. How many drinks did she have?" Rain asked, trying to count the empty beer cans in front of Audrey.

"Five? Or six?" Michael guessed.

"Well however much it was, there's no way she's going to be able to run away from the cops fast enough. She'll probably trip over herself like those blonde girls in the horror movies do."

"Rain, you're blonde," he pointed out.

"That's besides the point! We need to get her somewhere they won't go."

Michael looked around quickly before spotting a staircase leading to another door.

"Three floors up is the roof. They won't go there," Michael said. "Here, help me with her."

Rain and Michael helped Audrey up the stairs, practically having to drag her up most of them.

"I don't feel good," Audrey mumbled as they reached the second staircase.

"I swear to god, Johnson, if you puke on me-" Rain threatened.

"Chill, Thunder," Audrey giggled.

"Jesus Christ."

Finally reaching the roof, Rain and Michael let out a sigh of relief. Audrey immediately laid down on a blanket that was already sprawled out and looked up at the stars.

"One, two, three, four . . ." she counted out loud.

"Audrey, what are you doing?" Rain asked, looking over at the police car lights, but Audrey didn't reply.

She counted the stars until she reached forty-eight, then fell asleep, hoping that when she woke up in the morning, it would all be gone, and maybe she'd be happy.

🌿🌿

hey! I hope y'all realized what I did with the star thing. remember in one of the previous chapters (stars) when she explained that when her parents were fighting or when she was nervous she'd count the stars or anything else around her until she reached forty eight, then she'd fall asleep or feel better.

I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! I wanted y'all to know how sorry Audrey is and everything and I wanted a little bit more friend communication aside from Luke. (he'll be in the next chapter, don't worry)

love you guys! don't forget to vote and comment!