Nineteen

XIX: Brunch of Disasters

THE CLOCK read 10:10. I had just enough time to make it to brunch. I was already dressed, looking as presentable as I could with the lack of sleep and amount of tears that were shed the night before. The bags underneath my eerie blue orbs were visible, and the slight puffiness of my eyelids was hard to conceal, but all around I didn't look too bad. Just because I looked fine on the outside didn't mean I wasn't hurting inside, my sub-conscience remarked.

My eyes squeezed almost painfully shut as I allowed the shameful remorse to rush through my veins and spread over my body. Just thinking about last night had my emotions rising and falling like a rollercoaster, although I wasn't sure which feeling was worse: the lust or the guilt.

My eyes flew open when I heard a knock at the door and my breath hitched. Could that be Max?

"Come in," I said and cleared my throat. I held my breath as the knob turned ever so slowly, and with the gentlest of creaks, the door crept open. 

"Hello, dear. All set to go?" I let the breath I was holding out in one big swoosh, and forced a smile on my face once the disappointment sank in. 

"Hello Grandmother," I said, and winced at my indifferent tone. She eyed me with a look of suspicion before something clicked in that old head of hers that sprung a smile upon her rose-pink lips.

"Expecting anyone else, are you darling?" I looked instinctively away and busied myself with searching for my handbag. 

"Of course not, Grandmother. Who else but you would arrive unannounced?" I teased in the most carefree voice I could muster. 

"Hmm!" she exclaimed in a self-righteous  manner. "Well...actually come to think of it, I suppose you're right; I do tend to do that quite a lot!"

I laughed lightly as I located my purse and stuck it under my armpit. "Right then, shall we go?"

Grandmother looked me up and down, her eyes taking in my simple outfit of a brown tweed pencil skirt and a white pussy bow blouse, before nodding and gracefully wrapping her scarf around her neck. "Let's." 

As we made our way past the foyer to the elevator, I couldn't resist the urge to flash my eyes around the room searching for the man who's memories haunt my dreams, but he was nowhere to be found.

Perhaps he fled the penthouse after....after last night, I wondered as we descended in the elevator where Max and I kissed not even twenty-four hours ago.  Maybe even went to Simone's.

The thought of Max with Simone arouse a horrid, gut-wrenching ache to fill my being. Although it was completely unjustifiable and incomprehensible and just plain wrong, I couldn't help how I felt. I was hurt, forgotten, and dare I say it, jealous of my sister being with her fiance.

How absurd, I thought as Grandmother and I exited the elevator cart. I'm a stupid woman, truly I am; a stupid, love-struck fool of a woman.

 THE HALL was flawlessly arranged. Flowers and warm, light colors and shiny things littered the room. Servers, dressed to make even a penguin impressed, walked around offering orange cream mimosa and Bellini. A pianist sat at the corner of the room playing soft melodic tunes as people stood around mingling as they genteelly sipped their drinks served on the finest crystal.

I, on the other hand, sat leaning my chin into my palm glaring up at the chandelier, willing it to suddenly break off and tumble down on top of me. Anything to save myself from this torture.