XI - The Death Stopwatch

Start from the beginning

"Dr. Woodpecker, please tell us how we can repay your kindness for lending us your precious," Elli asked as the creature sat down opposite her.

"Did I agree to lend you my precious? Anyway, a trade does sound interesting," Dr. Woodpecker said while opening its bottle of beer. Without asking the guests to enjoy themselves, it gulped down the entire contents of the bottle.

Mushy had an eager look in its eyes, as if it wanted to try the beer too, but its hands were too short to reach the bottle. Elli wasn't in the mood to help the mushroom. Dr. Woodpecker put the bottle down after a minute and burped. Its breath smelled of moldy coconut milk and barley.

"What would you like to trade?" Elli asked again, this time wearing an impatient tone.

"Hmm, see those yellow flowers on my hair? I want to trim them and replace them with the stars from the sky. I have nine hundred and ninety nine hairs. So, if you could pluck nine hundred and ninety nine stars for me, I might consider lending you my precious."

"We don't even have nine minutes! Just lend us your freaking precious! We can give you money," Marko shouted.

"Hmm, young man, control your temper and mind your manners. I believe you're asking for my favour?" the doctor said. Its eyes and lips were now smiling a sinister smile.

"Alright, I'll give you the stars, now!" Marko leaped over the table and flew his fist into the creature's face.

That punch must've hurt Marko a lot, more than it would to the doctor. His face wrinkled up like chicken skin as he gawked at the blood dripping out of his knuckles. His injury was soon paid off as Dr. Woodpecker slipped off the chair, and thudded on the floor.

Elli ran towards the unconscious doctor and searched its pants' pockets. Nothing.

She looked at Marko and their gaze fell together on the tree house. Her watch beeped again. They had only five minutes left. Quickly, they sprang up the wooden ladder and leaped onto the wooden platform. The entire tree house shook under the sudden impulse. Elli prepared to dash into the house when green tendril-like fingers shot out of the sides of the door, binding around her body. The harder she struggled, the tighter the fingers wrapped around her.

"I can't breathe..." she gasped. One of the green fingers was now swirling around her throat.

"I got this." Mushy pranced before Elli's feet and began singing.

Golden spores bloomed out of its head and flew towards the fingers. Elli held her breath, trying not to breathe in the spores. She never realised how tired she was. She wanted to just fall asleep but she had to save her friends. Her determination strengthened. The green tendrils loosened their grip on her body once the spores landed on their surface. Once the singing stopped, the tendrils disappeared behind the door, and Elli collapsed on the platform.

"Steady, Elli, we have only two minutes left." Marko held her up, and they stormed into the tree house. The building shook harder, as if eager to chuck them out.

The house had a bunk, a closet, and a working table.

Elli darted to the working table, while Marko and Mushy checked on the bunk and closet. Wads of patient records littered all over the table. Borrowing light from Marko's wand, Elli pulled the drawers open and threw the contents out. The time tickled by.

Ten seconds -- nine seconds -- eight seconds -- and suddenly she yelled, "I found it!"

Elli held the red stopwatch for the others to see. It looked similar to a computer screen, with three hands sticking out of each side. The hands on the left pointed to three tabs, which read happiness, laughter, and life. The hands on the other side pointed to sadness, tears, and death. Without hesitation, Elli pressed the hand on the right bottom into the slit, when her own watch beeped. They slumped on the floor after the exhausting race with Mr. Time.