Chapter 4: The Warmth of Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Anyways, want to go outside of campus for lunch today?" Justine said, snapping Serena's from her reverie, "For a change of scenery."

"Yeah, I don't mind. Besides I wanted to check out the bookstore and then head to the gym right outside of campus."

Becker University didn't have their own gym on campus instead was affiliated with the city's gym that was located within walking distance out of campus. And now that Serena had the opportunity to use the gym, Serena wanted to start a healthier lifestyle.

"Well then, what are we waiting for," Justine yelled excitedly before dragging Serena away.

Throughout lunch, Serena and Justine got to know each other better as their companionship took a turn towards friendship. Serena didn't reveal explicit details about her family but from the sympathetic look on Justine's face, Serena didn't have to say too much sordid details. At times, Justine's nose would flare in anger from the things that Serena had to endure which made Serena happy. Is it wrong to feel happiness seeing Justine's anger? Knowing that the anger was caused because Justine genuinely came to care for her, Serena dismissed her earlier thought.

Serena also got to know more about Justine and her childhood. Being an only child, Justine always wanted that connection with a friend. Something that she found in Serena. To think they were two different people born with different situation and circumstance and yet wanted the same thing. Friendship. A connection.

The more time Serena spent with Justine, the more Serena started to open up. Being able to share bits and pieces with someone else lifted a heavy weight that strained Serena. Somehow she felt lighter, a bit happier, less stressed than she was a week ago.

After lunch, Serena and Justine marched around the city, eye shopping as they went along the busy streets where everyone was going about their own way. Upon arriving at the bookstore, Serena gasped in excitement and subsequently pulling Justine by the arms into the store. Seeing a hyped up Serena, Justine couldn't help but laugh at her antics.

"I guess I'm stuck with a book worm," Justine muttered happily as Serena's excitement started to rub on her.

"ahhh... I could live here. Look at all these books!" Serena shrieked as she strolled down the aisle of shelves book-full from top to bottom.

"You know, reading books were my escape." Serena told Justine as she cruised along. "It made me forget about my worries, my life, my inabilities, and just get lost into another world. I would get so invested in the characters that in my mind, I become them. I could feel and experience whatever they were going through as though it was happening in real life. If the character was crying or laughing or blushing, then so would I."

Justine could see the pain that morphed onto Serena's face. How could a mother treat her own blood like a stranger? How could a mother differentiate between two children?

"Books became my saving grace. If it weren't for them, I would have given up long ago," Serena revealed as she remembered all the times she locked herself in her bedroom and just read or at lunch break at school or work, she would pull out her novels to indulge.

A hand on her shoulder brought her back and Serena turned to face Justine who had a determined look on her face. "You can indulge however much you want but Serena..." Justine firmly held Serena by the shoulder. "From now on it won't be to escape but to experience many fantasies and fairy tales that awaits. And then one day, you will have your very own fairy tale."

Serena's eyes swelled from the formation of tears that begged to be released. The tender words from someone whom she just met a week ago made Serena feel wanted for the first time. Serena tilted her head back as she squinted her eyes in order to prevent the tears from falling, but it was to no use. Hot tears dripped down and Serena quickly wiped it any with the back of her hand.