In Consequence - Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

“Thank you,” the groom-to-be replied as he shook the proffered hand, unable to suppress a smile of warming pride.

“If I may be so bold....” Mr. Bell began as he looked to the Master for permission to continue.

 “Yes,” Mr. Thornton tonelessly allowed, inescapably intrigued as to what he should say on the subject.

  “I’m certain that you may be aware that Margaret is not yet...comfortable with this situation,” he continued, stealing a comprehensive glance at Mr. Thornton, whose eyes had narrowed in apprehension at the older man’s words.

“I’m persuaded that she is not yet acquainted with your gentler sensibilities, seeing only the harshness of the working world around her,” he quickly endeavored to explain. “She is still new to Milton. The ways of industry are yet unfamiliar to her, coming from the fields of Hampshire and the refined circles of London.”

Mr. Thornton listened with steadfast interest, his head cocked to the side.

“Your enduring patience will do much to dissuade her from her ignorance. She is not aware of the challenges that beset you as a man of business. Give her time,” he counseled gently, giving the Master a steady look as the younger man blinked and faintly nodded his head in acknowledgment.

“Margaret has a large heart with grand ideals and a strong determination to set the world to right,” Mr. Bell continued more vociferously. “I perceive that you recognize her intellect - that you will not disregard her opinions as others might,” he concluded, noting with satisfaction the distant, contemplative gaze of the Master.

 “I have no doubt that you will come to a greater understanding of each other. Indeed, I look forward to seeing this match,” Mr. Bell announced with a grin, as he recognized the hopeful gleam in the younger man’s eyes at his pronouncement.

“Congratulations again, Thornton. You could not have made a finer choice,” the wealthy landowner warmly remarked as he shook hands again with his tenant. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a train to catch. I bid you farewell,” he said before turning to depart,

leaving the Master standing somewhat bewildered in the middle of his office.

**********

At the Crampton residence, Mr. Hale studied the Greek philosophers in the quiet confines of his study while the women of the household were in the throes of preparing for Mr. Thornton’s visit that evening.

Mrs. Hale took care to rest herself in her upstairs sitting room, so that she might be ready for entertaining while Dixon bustled about below in the kitchen, muttering about the lack of help in Milton.

In the cooler air of the nearby scullery, Margaret carefully ironed the family’s fine table linen.  With the day’s activities all pointed toward the arrival of her new fiancé, Margaret could hardly think of anything else.

She had woken this morning no nearer to a sense of peaceful resolution than when sleep had overtaken her. Still uncertain if she should be happily resigned to marrying the Master of Marlborough Mills, Margaret tried to understand the myriad feelings that rose and fell within her breast.

She had attempted to remain calmly composed earlier when her mother had eagerly elaborated upon every detail of the arrangements to be made.  Every mention of his name had caused her nerves to tingle with unknown expectancy.

As she firmly pressed the heavy iron over the white linen, she wondered if he would wear the burgundy cravat that she remembered when he had come to tea some months ago. She blushed to recall now how fine he had looked that evening. Halting her ironing, her stomach fluttered at the thought of standing before him again today.