The Annoying Sister

Copyright © 2013 by Ladylurve

All rights reserved.

---

The lighting in Liana’s room was somber, as were the mood of the two sisters as they sat on the bed, idly flipping magazines.

“Have you spoken to him and explained how you felt?  Liana asked. Avoiding her sister’s gaze, Lisa continued flipping pages from last month’s Vogue’s magazine before replying.

“Yes, of course I have.” Her reply was flat. Liana pursued further despite detecting her sister’s reluctance to discuss the issue.

“Well, what did he say then? Surely he said something?”

Liana’s impatience became pronounced when she snatched the magazine off Lisa’s hands and raised her right eyebrow in her sister’s direction. Notorious for gossiping around, Liana thrived on stories that gorged on people’s emotions. She spent many hours a day with her group of friends, passing juicy gossips around. With people like them around, news travel fast. News that prey on other people’s lives. News that are usually meant to be kept private. Only this time, it was her sister’s life that she may indulge in as part of tomorrow’s news.Like a vulture spotting a prey, it won’t take long before other vultures join the feast,Lisa thought. Knowing Liana’s inability to keep secrets, Lisa merely stayed silent.

She was about to make her way to the bathroom when Liana jumped off the bed and ran towards her. Tugging Lisa’s wrist gently, she maneuvered in swift motion and blocked Lisa’s path.

“What are you doing?” Lisa asked, not completely surprised by Liana’s agile movements. Two years ago, Liana was the school champion in gymnastics. That was when she befriended the group of young gossips and transformed into one of them overnight. Unfortunately, the friendship bloomed out of control causing distraction to her gymnastics’ career. Many hours were spent divulging juicy gossips instead of practicing. So when the school lost at the state level competition, Lisa was hardly surprised. Instead of admitting to her lack of commitment in gymnastics, Liana insisted on blaming the failure on bad coaching and poor sponsorship. Sometimes, she would even use the excuse that a developing woman’s body is not fit for doing gymnastics. Now who can argue with that without making the discussion even more awkward!

“Are you bad in the bedroom?” Liana asked, her eyes fixed on Lisa’s. Affronted that her sister would even pose such a question, she cast aside Liana’s right hand.

“That is none of your business!” She scowled.

“So you are then.” Liana said, oblivious that her question was not only inappropriate but also rude.

“Excuse me?” Lisa huffed incredulously.

“Perhaps you didn’t know how to entice him?” Liana’s eyes questioning Lisa’s.

“What do you know about it? You don’t even have a boyfriend!” Anger pounded each word that came out of Lisa’s mouth. A deep desire to slap her sister’s face there and then caused her to ball her palm into a fist.

“Yet! But that’s only ‘cause I’m super picky,” Liana replied pompously before adding, “I do a lot of research on what boys like and don’t like and I know they like the girls to be wild in the bedroom, which clearly is not happening in your case.”

Lisa looked at her sister in disbelief, not from the information she just dished out –which was nothing really- but from the way she easily jumped to conclusions about Lisa’s marriage. Did everyone think of me as a loser? Do people know I can’t even keep my man down? These questions were concerns lingering in her thought far too often the past few months.

Seeing Lisa adamant on the issue, Liana skipped to the bed and plopped her body on it. Within seconds, she was flipping magazines again leaving Lisa in no doubt that she was looking for more gossip materials.