Chapter 8; Poolside

Claire

Not even a whisper of wind caresses my skin as the slow droplets of sweat meander down the path that leads to the small of my back. I turn slowly on my sun lounger propping myself up on one elbow looking at Liam his face was scrunched up in concentration as work on a college paper of some sorts. Books and scraps of paper were strewn all over the patio tabletop with little stones and such holding it all down. Useless really since the wind hadn't blown in like an hour. His stormy grey eyes and shaggy chestnut hair is a contrast to his fading Irish accent. He seemed hardly affected by the Christmas heat wave. He raises his eyes to meet mine catching me staring at him. I can't help the heat of a blush working its way into my checks. Big brother Liam, sweet, kid, and considerate Liam, I've been wondering how he could possibly be single but I think I have him figured out; it's a shame really.

The tip of his Mont Blanc fountain pen points to me,

"Your top."

I had forgotten that when I had flopped down on the lounger I had untied the strings on my bikini, my coaches would have a fit if I came back from my break with tan lines. I resumed my previous activity of doing absolutely nothing but daydream lazily in the Florida sun.

My parents, as usual were too busy for me so basically were happy when ever I could find someone to hang with, they don't like me to be alone. I would probably spend Christmas with Liam from the looks of it, which I definitely didn't mind. I was comfortable here, with him.

A shadow passes over me and I blink rapidly to adjust. Liam is down eye level with him.

"Let's go before you crisp."

He wasn't unkind but his voice did sound a little strained and it was getting too hot. He seemed to be done with whatever he was working on and since he wasn't dressed for poolside lounging wearing his Banana Republic chinos and light blue polo. I tied up my strings and threw on his white button down dress shirt, I had forgotten a cover up but I wasn't really worried, most of the residence were out and about and besides you were hard pressed to actually find a straight man around this complex. I was usually very modest outside the rink, which was odd since I spent ten or more hours a day in skimpy leotards.

We arrive back to the condo its cool and dark compared to the outside; I squint and sway trying to find my center. Liam places his hand on my lower back to steady me.

"Whoa, you're hot!"

I couldn't help but giggle, it's something I never imagined him saying to me. Suddenly there is a deep baritone laugh emanating from Liam,

"I think you're probably as red as a lobster under there." He tugs on his shirt I am wearing.

"Come on let's go lather you up before you get miserable."

Liam

Her infectious giggles crescendo, the corner of her mouth lifts in a mischievous smile.

"Or you could butter me up and serve as the dinner special tonight at The Menagerie!"

She did look delicious in my shirt but there was no way I would ever share her, even though in reality that was a ridiculous notion. I swallowed hard as I turned to the kitchen to get her aloe out of the refrigerator. I don't know why she insists on laying out, the girl never tans she just burns. I should have suggested leaving sooner but after her innocent flashing I had to take some time to recover. She has no idea what she does to me. She was herself around me, at least I liked to believe she was because I saw the difference in her laugh and smile when we are together. She was au natural, she never shied or gritted her teeth from the little touches we shared. I knew she didn't like to be touched unless she initiates it. Its one of her manipulative behaviors that I've observed over time. But for some reason when she is with me, and I forget myself, she doesn't react negatively when I touch her. There are actually times I can feel her lean into me.

I still couldn't completely trust my instincts where she's concerned. I walk on eggshells around her; constantly trying to feel her moods and control the environment around her. I wasn't being controlling but it was like I could feel her triggers and I wanted her happy.

She has been a fixture in my life for the last month. She often sleeps over, although it was more like she falls asleep and since her parents were hardly home and never paid her much attention outside her skating all I had to do was get her to the rink by 5AM. I hated leaving her on the couch and would frequently carry her into my bed tucking her in securely. I would sleep on the couch and after a month of driving her to the rink at ungodly hours and waking up stiff for more reasons than one I was really starting to look a little rough around the edges.

I hadn't realized I had been standing in the kitchen for longer then was necessary until I heard her bouncing into the kitchen. Her child like enthusiasm was something I was seeing more of lately and I loved it. Her eyes actually crinkled when she smiled proving her sincerity.

"So what's the special tonight Liam?"

She furrowed her brows and began tapping her chin with one finger acting as though she was deep in thought. Without even knowing it she pulled her bottom lip into her mouth between her teeth she looked me straight in the eyes and that was it for me, I pride myself on not being the stereotypical Irishmen but the girl is going to be my undoing.

I bounded over to her chasing her to the living room and leaping over the couch. Her startled eyes widened and a wicked grin spread across her beautiful lips. She loved a good chase and I was tired of practicing restraint around her.

"Fresh caught Lobster Au Claire!" I shouted as we danced around the couch and giggled uncontrollable.