Off Limits (James Sirius Potter)

Start from the beginning

Shoes appeared in my field of vision. "You're really out of shape." Peering up into James' face I glared at him.

"Why in Merlin's name do you have to be so stubborn?" I asked once I'd regained my breath and rose back to my full height.

"You love it really." My glare deepened at his self-assured tone. James straightened up as the rest of the team prepared to make their exit. Grabbing his broom he made to follow after them before he stopped and looked at me from over his shoulder. "Wish me luck?"

"You wish – if it wasn't for you, I'd be finishing my essay right now."

"Hey now," he said turning back to look at me fully, "Don't you want me to beat that twat of an ex of yours?"

I smiled slightly, remembering how much trouble he put my ex through when he'd found out that he had dumped me in the middle of Hogsmeade and left me alone. "Just don't get hurt James."

Poking my cheek he met my eyes, giving me a broad grin. "I know that you're not annoyed at me anymore, your smile says it all." I rolled my eyes as his grin turned cheeky, "Besides I told Fred to aim all of the bludgers towards him."

The match was progressing smoothly for the Gryffindor team and as a result James was showing off. From the seat that Rose had her cousins save for us, it was easy to see the entire team and we had front row seats to view James' unrestrainable ego.

"Stop showing off!" I shouted up at him as he flew down to hover slightly above me. He laughed down at me, his attention completely off of the game.

"Relax," he said grinning. "We're really far ahead-"

He continued to talk but my eyes focused onto something over his shoulder. The bludger came rapidly closer to him and I glanced back at James to see if he had noticed it. But, of course, he was oblivious.

"James-" He continued to speak and ignored me as I motioned for him to turn around and look behind him.

"Anyway it's not as if the snakes will be able to catch up," His words were cut off quickly as a bludger hit him square in the middle of his back, flinging him forward and off of his broom.

There was a sudden surge in horrified screams as he landed on the floor with a painful thud. Paying no mind to the game or anyone around me, I pushed people out of my way as I headed to the exit of the stands. I needed to get down to see him and make sure that he was alright, that he was breathing at least.

By the time that I had reached the quidditch pitch the entire team was crowding around him doing Merlin knows what. I pushed them out of my way to make an opening that I could squeeze through. "Move."

They moved out of my way quickly and I knelt down beside James. He'd landed on his back. Brushing some of the hair off from his forehead, I began to look him over for any visible signs of injury. There were none, but it wasn't as if James would remain unharmed after such a dramatic fall.

"What are you all sitting around for?" I screeched setting James' head on my knees, my voice becoming sharp as I tried to hide the tremble in my voice. Why wasn't he moving? "Hurry up and get the nurse!"

"I knew you cared," croaked a voice. Glancing down, I let out a relieved breath as he opened his eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I tried to demand but even I could hear the obvious relief in my voice. James started to sit up, removing his head from my lap, he swatted away all of the hands that moved to help him up. "You were too busy showing off to even think about what could have happened to you? Do you realise how dangerous a game quidditch is? What if you got hurt or broke something or – or worse." I bit my bottom lip to stop it from quivering.